Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

219 in 30-30

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sentry44:
Hi Mike,

I havent checked in in a couple weeks, but I see Garnett has given you the likely best answer...the firing pin spring.  The good news is, you can generally find the entire fully assembled striker assembly either in eBay, or from Numrich.  Buying this will solve two problem for you:

A)  Given the possibility exists that it is a worn firing pin, and not the spring, replacing the whole assembly addresses both.
B)  Having installed this in pieces myself I can tell you if you dont have a mouth like a sailor, will definitely will after that experience.
This is because when you install the entire assembly they have drilled a small hole and inserted a slave pin to hold everything together under pressure, so installing it is easy.  Doing it the way I did - ONCE - in my ignorance, requires juditious use of a large screwdriver in one hand to hold back the spring pressure, while the other hand attempts to jimmy it all into place.

This is not easy.  So just buy the complete assembly, get it into position, and then pull out the pin.

ALSO, save yourself some time and headache when uninstalling your current assembly, by noting where they have drilled and slave pinned the new assembly, and doing that on your current one while it's installed and under pressure.  Just use a small metal drill bit and a 2 inch section of a metal coat hanger as a pin.  Then the assembly comes out easy.  Put your new assembly in, yank out the pin, and you're good to go.

Once youve done it once correctly and understand how the striker works, you'll have it down.  The 219 has a reliable and simple design, and parts are readily available.

On a different matter...you mentioned prices.  In rifle calibers 30-30 is plentiful and not expensive.  $400 for a good gun, $250 for a beater, $100 - $150 for just the barrel on eBay.  All the other calibers are less common and pretty dear.  For 220 shotgun gauges, 12's are everywhere...$100 or less for a barrel, or $200 for a whole gun.  16s and 20s arent too difficult to find.  410s are pretty uncommon, and 28s are downright rare.

Let us know how your operation goes!

Chris

Sentry44:
Here's one on eBay now, if yours is an early gun (I forget).

Note not the little bent piece that's separate, thats a part of the assebmly.  In the third picture you can see a little loop they bent into the end of the slave pin to make it easy to yank out with a tool.  This is what i was talkung about above, that ypu should make ahead of time for your existing assembly.  Fashion a pin, bend a loop in so its easy to grab, then drill the hole and pin it.  Then remove the assembly.

Chris

MikeLeong:
Thanks so much for all this detail on what to do if the firing assembly does have to be replaced. If the Sea Foam does not work, and it is the spring or firing pin, I will print out your steps and pass them on to my friend who loves to play with gun mechanisms and let him help do the operation with me as his assistant. It certainly sounds like it could be frustrating if you just start to take things apart without any guidance! I also have Garnett's book with all the schematics, which are very useful I am sure if you do start playing at being a gunsmith.

In Canada the 219's go for $350 to $500 in 30-30. I am guessing the 220 would be a bit less. This guy wants $1,100 for the three guns and the one extra 20 gauge barrel. Probably in the ball park if everything matches and all is in good shape, as you almost never see multiple guns and barrels in the Savage 219 and 200 on the main gun exchange site here. If I did not already have my 30-30 in this Model I would be interested in that set, as I love grouse hunting with a 20 gauge, but I already have some nice side by sides for doing that. My goal is to insure the 30-30 works properly, as it seems darn accurate for the kind of deer hunting I do, 75 to 100 yards at my deer bait.
Again, thanks for your input and advice.

Garnett:
Mike, on the two barrel set, be sure the assembly numbers match with both barrels.  Otherwise, someone just added a spare barrel.  Good to hear from you!

Sentry44:
Mike you're very right about it as your deer gun.  I hunt about 2/3's if the time in my own property, where the shot can be up to 300 yards, so i use my Rem 700 in .270.  But when I hunt my neighbors, the stand is tight, and the shot is only 30-50 yards.  PERFECT for iron sights and medium velocity.

The .219 .30-30 always gets the nod.  Easy to carry up steep steps.

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version