Savage Single Shot Firearms > Hi! My Name is...

New member of the cult.

<< < (3/3)

Cleetus:
Hi Chris and welcome. You probably know this but look very closely at the breech face and chamber. They can be off a bit on angle or just have a big enough gap that head space can be an issue on these rimmed cartridges. I have a .22 hornet that at first glance looks fine and closes with the barrel lug engaged fine but has just enough gap to let the cartridge move when fired and the primer backs out and binds the action when you go to open it. I am sure its not good for accuracy either. The .22 hornet cartridge is probably worse than others as the SAMI specs on rim thickness are quite liberal and modern manufacturers go with the thinest rim so they will fit in any gun. The old Savages have a fairly deep cut in the for the rim which doesn't help with newer ammo.

CDSUSMC:
Cleetus, all seems well and tight. I will take all precautions safety wise and also plan on using very lite loads to start. Thank you for the concern. The weather has delayed my first shot because the road into the range has been either ice or mud or both. I will report in when I do take that first shot.
Chris

Mike Armstrong:
Chris, I'm very familiar with your range access problem from my years "upstate."  And finding those Hornet cases in the slush can be a drag, too!  Good luck with the first testfire!

Mike Armstrong

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version