Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 220 Single Shot Hammerless Shotguns

Found a Stevens 220 (???).

(1/2) > >>

Mike Armstrong:
Have a look at www.gunsamerica.com  item #944621534.  It appears to be a Stevens-marked, Utica-made, "deluxe" checkered 220.  At least it's a hammerless single shot 12 that looks very much like a 220.  Never seen one before.  Tempted to buy it but I need another 12 like a new hole, and I don't like single shot 12s much.  At least I don't like SHOOTING them much! 

Is this just a rebranded 220 "Trap Grade"?

To see a contemporary competitor of the 220, have a look at GA item #918549474, a "Lefever Long Range" .410 hammerless single that was actually made by Ithaca Gun Co.  As far as I know they never made a rifle version of this shotgun, but the shotguns are not rare.  I had one of these .410s once.  It worked but isn't as nice handling as an early 220 .410, IMO.

I have had very satisfactory dealings with the seller of these guns, BTW, Bromley's Gunshop in IA.

Mike Armstrong

Garnett:
Mike, I have never seen either of the model guns.  They are really nice, but I don't think they have anything in common with the Savage 220 other than being hammerless single shots.  If you have time, compare them the the close ups in my book of the 220 actions.  That said, if I had the money, I would purchase both these guns.  I have bought several guns from Bromley's.  They are good to deal with.

Mike Armstrong:
I'll take a closer look at the two "side by side" or as close as I can come, by printing the ad off my computer.

Hammerless single shots weren't ever as popular as hammer models, but many of the major makers had them at one time or another--I've seen Iver Johnsons and H&Rs, as well as the ones mentioned.  They all seem to have been more expensive than the hammer singles by the same makers.

Winchester made a few prototypes of a concealed hammer version of the Model 37 single shot, but never made a production run.  The hammer 37 did well by itself--they made more of them than any other shotgun, according to one source.  Since none had any serial numbers, it's hard to say if that is true.

Mike Armstrong:
Garnett, having viewed the two sets of images (GA listing and your book) side-by-side, I agree--this Stevens hammerless single is at best a distant relative of the 219/220.  Action has many more pins and a straight "back" without the scallop of the Savage brand hammerless singles.  The barrel lug looks close to the 220/219, but not identical either.

I wonder what happened to this model--they seem very rare, or at least I've never seen nor heard of one.  Perhaps they were a little too fancy/pricey for the Stevens brand's market?

Also wish I could buy this Stevens shotgun, but just sank my "capital" (a rather-too-grand title for my piggy bank's contents....) into a Utica 219 .30-30 with original Savage mounts, rings, and scope, and a .410 barrel fitted to it.  Won't be here for a while; the guy I talked out of it lives in NV and is going in for a rotator cuff rebuild Monday, so he won't be shipping anything for a while....  I've had the same surgery; takes a while to recover!  But I've done business with him before and he'll get 'em to me.

Hope you're home and safe, if not dry, by now!

Mike Armstrong

Garnett:
I agree.  Also, on the multibarrel sets you listed, I would caution anyone to be sure the assembly numbers match before paying a premium price for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version