Savage Single Shot Firearms > Hi! My Name is...

219&220

(1/6) > >>

bob:
hello,my name is bob.this really a good site&i'm glad I came across it. at a recent gun show icame across a 219 with 2 barrels&2 forends ,a 30-30 barrel marked 219 &a 12ga.marked 220.both have the UTICA NY stamp&they are in ex.cond-it really looks like both have never been fired.the receiver has no markings on either side,on the bottom is a real nice engraving of 3 ducks flying over cattails.the receiver is a deep purple plum color-just beautiful.can you guys give me more info. on the receiver-this 2 gun set looks almost too nice to take in the woods.    thankyou from PA. 

Garnett:
Bob, welcome to this forum!  My first question is....did you buy it?  If you did, will you please share pictures with us?  It sounds like you have what was referred to by Savage, as a "Utility" gun.  These had one rifle and one shotgun barrel with forearms for each barrel.  To be sure they are a matching set, look under both barrels in front of the barrel lug at the letters/numbers.  If both barrels have the same (or almost the same) that is a good indication it came together as a set.  Remove the barrel from the receiver and look on the top of the left inside for similar numbers.  Finally, remove the butt place and see if similar numbers are stamped into the wood under the plate.  All 4 places should be very similar.  There is no record as to why the receivers were acid etched with game scenes.  Normally the scenes are either on both sides or the bottom, but not all 3 places.  The purple plum color is an indication that the receiver (at least, but maybe the entire gun) has been re-blued and left in the bluing solution too long and it turned purple.  The Utility guns were assigned separate Model Numbers according to caliber/gauge and barrel length.  I am away from home for 10 days or so.  If you will advise me of the barrel length of the shotgun barrel, when I am home and can look it up in my research records, I will advise you the exact model number.  I hope this helps some.  Best wishes, Garnett 

bob:
hello garnett,thank you for getting back.i traded even ,my Mossberg US44(b) .22 with a Mossberg 4x scope for this fine savage.i have another Mossberg exactly like i traded,so I still have one.i've been look'in for a 219 for a while.like you said,if it has been reblued,they did a good job-I really like the deep purple.any how I  have the letters for you,1st the rifle barrel-26"L inside forend marked 5.on barrel V5G then a D below those.top of barrel marked MODEL 219 savage arms corp. Utica,new York.shotgun barrel is 30"L, 2 3/4"shells,inside forend marked 3  0.barrel is marked K-above 30JD.top of barrel marked MODEL 220 savage arms corp. Utica,new York inside the receiver marked LL.after the 2 L's are 2 symbols that look like fish-I can't really make out what they are.well I guess by the #'s&letters this is not a matched set,but it is one fine look'in rifle&shotgun&i am very pleased with it.i shot my 1st deer in 65 with my dad's 30-30 savage 340 that he bought in 51,the 340 has been mine for many yrs. now.i will be out with this fine single shot the 1st day of PA. deer season.i would like to send you pics so you can give me your opinon on this set.if you have a cell phone,i can send you pics from my wifes cell phone.if not I will have to figure out how to post them on here.one more thing the trigger is thin&trigger guard is a gray metal color.  thank you again sir&have agood day!!   bob

Garnett:
Bob, thanks for the info. When I get home I will give you the model number for your set.  Thank you for this info.  I am sorry, but I can't receive pictures on my cell phone.  Please try to put on this site.  I don't think the set matches because of the numbers you gave me.  The 3 and 5 inside the forearm denote the size barrel that they will fit, I think.  When I first started my research into these guns, I had thought the number inside the forearms stood for the style, i.e., slim, semi-bever tail, or bevertail, but the more I look, the more I am convinced these numbers are for the barrel size.  If you have time, look under the "for sale" section of this forum and you can view some pictures of my book and what the contents are.  As soon as I get home, I will send you the Model number for your set.  Best wishes, Garnett

Garnett:
Bob, a factory "Utility Gun" set in your configuration:  30-30 and 12 gauge with 30 inch barrel had the Model 221 designation.  Each standard set had a different number depending on caliber and gauge and barrel length of the shotgun barrel.  All rifle barrels were 26 inches.  I hope this helps some.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version