Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

Hornet barrel tough to open

(1/4) > >>

Sentry44:
Gents,

Help me think this through, please.  My .22 Hornet barrel fits perfectly on face, and opens and closes uncocked easily.  But after firing, whether live or dry firing, the top lever is tough to open. 

Again, not a function of having a round pressing on the ejector, because it does this even when dry fired.  But when de-cocked, the top lever moves easily...so this isn't a function of lubrication.

Thoughts on why this happens, and how to remedy?

Chris

Garnett:
Chris, what action style is your Hornet?  Early striker fired, or later internal hammer fired?  This information may help.

Sentry44:
I neglected to mention that, sorry.

Mine is the earliest "- 219 -" Utica style.

Chris

Garnett:
OK, thanks.  As I say in my book, I am not a gunsmith, but maybe someone here can help.

Sentry44:
I recall when I installed a new ejector spring on my 30-30 barrel that it was too long, so I had to snip it.  This one is ok length, but im wondering if maybe the ejector starter pin is a 1/16 too long.  So I trimmed it a bit, but as I was tapping the lug pin back in apparently I broke the ejector hook in that little area where that other tiny pin goes.  So...

We will see if my starter pin theory is right once my new ejector hook arrives from Numrich... :-\

If anyone has a different theory, though, I'd love to hear it.

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version