Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

Hornet barrel tough to open

<< < (2/4) > >>

Garnett:
Chris, please let us know how this works out.  In my research on these models, I have found 3 different lengths for the ejector hook.  The two that Numrich had listed some time ago, are both longer than the one I used in a parts break down (one of my guns) in my book.  With the ejector hook completely removed from the gun, does it now open and close properly, whether fired or not?

Sentry44:
Haven't tried that, but something tells me without the push-back on the end of the hook from the spring and starter pin, it wouldn't replicate the same.  I think i will wait to judge until I have the new one installed.

I know there are different sizes, as I've run i to that on other barrels.  So I ordered 3 and am hoping for the best.  If not too far off I might be able to grind a bit, but we'll see.

I want this thing running right, as this barrel is in especially good condition, and is factory drilled and tapped with original plug screws.  Savage did this on many models in the late 30's, but for some reason I don't generally see 219's done so.  This one's a good egg.

Chris

Garnett:
Chris, I am attaching a copy of page 239 of the newest edition, January 2021, of my book showing the 3 ejector hooks I have found.  Click on the picture to enlarge.  If you look closely you can see the slight difference in the 3.  My gunsmith/machinist says just a fraction difference can matter.  Savage says in their parts catalogs and on the parts envelopes, that parts are not interchangeable and may need fitting.  Since I took the shortest one pictured from my parts bin, I have no idea what model it was on.

Sentry44:
Thanks Garnett!  Mine looks like the #3 or #4.  It broke in that area where there is only a little meat to the left of the small pin hole...of course.  Won't even ask why they designed it thusly...

I guess it'll be a few days til I know.  Bummer, as I live only 1.5 hours drive from Numrich!

Chris

Garnett:
Please keep us posted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version