Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

My 219 still misfires

(1/5) > >>

MikeLeong:
Garnett, I got a new firing pin and spring from Numrich using the part numbers you provided, and had our local gunsmith do the install, The gun still misfires though, especially with factory ammo or loads using once fired brass from my Marlin 336. The gunsmith mentioned that headspace may the issue as he was able to close the gun using his gauge and I guess it should not do that? Another fellow who works with mechanical things of all kinds looked at it, and thought maybe the swivel pin that holds the barrel onto the receiver looked like it had a slight flat spot on the inside of it, possibly from opening and closing the gun a lot? Is that an issue that you or others have run into with the design of the 219, and wear and tear over time?

If that is a possible reason for the misfires, can I replace or fix that swivel pin?

When I do up loads that have been case formed in that rifle, they do work well if am careful to just neck size the brass, so the brass is a bit longer and probably accounts the bit of extra room.

The rifle is deadly accurate when the rounds fire, it just drives me crazy knowing it could just go click when you have that deer in your sights.....

Mike

Garnett:
Mike, this is a mystery to me.  I have not talked with anyone having a similar problem.  As I have mentioned before, I am not a gun smith, but if your gunsmith can put a shim between the receiver and the barrel when the barrel is closed, that does sound like excessive headspace to me, especially since your fired brass from that gun, when only neck sized, seems to work OK.  Also, I would think if there is a "flat" on the hinge pin, depending on the location, that could affect the head space.  The pin can be removed.  With the rear of the action toward you, the pin has serrations on the left side.  I would suggest removing it from right to left so the serrated side comes out first.  Just a suggestion.  I have never removed one before.  I don't know if Numrich has one or not.  There was one on Ebay a few days ago.  If you can't find one, email me at      garnettstancil@hotmail.com   
I will try to talk with my gunsmith/machinist about your problem tomorrow, and get back with you.  Click on pictures to make larger.

MikeLeong:
Garnett

I saw the info on that pin in your book. If there is a bit of a 'flat' on the inside I am guessing a gunsmith could pull the pin and put it back in turned half way around so the flat worn area is on the other side. Numrich does not seem to list that part, but if there is one onEbay I will try and look for it.

Thanks as always for your advice!

Garnett:
Please keep us informed as to whether or not this fixes your problem.

Garnett:
Mike, Have you verified that the barrel actually came on the action?  That could be the reason for the head space and misfires.  Have you compared the assembly numbers on the barrel and the frame?  Just a thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version