Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

My 219 still misfires

<< < (2/5) > >>

MikeLeong:
The numbers do match on the barrel and receiver, but that was a good thought.
I was able to pop out the pin the barrel swivels on, by the way, so I turned it 180 degrees and pressed it back in, and then went out to the range with some reloads from my Marlin that were not case formed to this gun. They fired off fine until the sixth round which misfired. I broke open the action, closed it and refired with the same round, and it did go off, which was not happening earlier this summer with other misfired rounds.
Turning that pin did not make a big difference so I suspect the wear marks on inside of it were not causing a flat spot, but it was fun actually playing with that idea, and seeing how I could get that pin out, and back in. I used a Robertson #2 bit upside down so the rounded end that goes in the drill was against the smooth side of the pin and tapped that with a hammer and saw the pin start to move out on the serrated side. I could tap a bit harder once I had the hole to hold the Robertson bit from moving off the pin. Putting that pin back is actually the harder part, as you are working on the raised serrated side. I finally went to my friends shop and he used his press to slowly move it back in.
I will keep playing with other ideas once hunting season is over and I am not so busy with work, and let you know if and when I find the culprit for misfires!

mkd123:
Hello all, sorry I've been away so long but wife had two heart attacks, mom and dad passed and I just felt like crap for the last few years. Anyway regarding the misfires, I have a striker fired 219 Utica gun that misfired and replaced all components from Numrich no help. turned out the striker assy was dragging on the stock. noticed a definite scarring on stock. I relieved that area and problem solved. hope that helps.

very respectfully
mkd

MikeLeong:
mkd

Thanks for that input. It seems to me that sometimes, the firing pin is not going all the way back each time you break open the gun and put in a new round? Is that a striker mechanism issue? I am ignorant when it comes to internal parts and what does what......

I hope your wife is feeling better these days!
Mike

Sentry44:
Mike,

This is a weird one.  If a 'smith checked it with a chamber gauge then the only thing other than light strikes from a firing pin would be being off-face.  But in my experience, firing pins are long enough that even a gun terribly off face...like, visibly off face...should fire.

Maybe the tip of the firing pin broke a little?  I have seen that.   So then it fires 'sometimes.'  But i just am doubting it's a chamber problem with a breech fired gun.  I have swaped a bunch of barrels on my 219, and other than needing to remove a little meat on some hinge pins, they all work great.

Chris

MikeLeong:
I think you are right, it is not a headspace issue. I also replaced the firing pin mechanism and it still had the same issue so I know it is not the firing pin. It is probably a cocking problem. It is as if that striker mechanism is not cocking properly at times. I took the stock off yesterday, but I cannot see where it is catching on anything. I think you mentioned your one gun was dragging on the stock somewhere?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version