Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

A Somewhat Faded 219 .30-30, Before and After Black Nitride

<< < (2/5) > >>

Exchipy:
Thanks, Mike. (Sorry for the extremely delayed response)

There was another US made break-open stalking rifle, which can still be found at a price far less than the Merkels and Blasers demand: the TCR 83. Though it is noticeably heavier than the Savage 219, it's pretty slick and handles more intense calibers.

Garnett:
I think the M219 is a much more classic looking action, but this one, while having a very bulky looking action, does have double set triggers and a larger variety of calibers.  I really wish the 219 action could be converted to DST, but my gunsmith/machinist says not.

Mike Armstrong:
I had a TCR for a while but couldn't get used to the set triggers and the safety arrangement.  It was well-made and accurate but just didn't work for me as a hunting gun--too many controls!  Single shots need to be simple--to take down, to clean, to load, and to fire when you really get that one good crack!  Some of the older German rifles have so many "extra features" that you would need to bring the manual up into the tree stand with the rifle.

Exchipy:
Gents,

The bulky TCR 83 does have handling disadvantages compared to the trim Savage 219.  But, I certainly wish my 219 shot with as much precision.  That pictured target was shot at 200 yards.

Steve

Garnett:
I must admit that I was admiring the DST's and did not notice the target.  I have only shot one of my 219's and none of the 220's.  It was so long ago I don't even remember how the 219 in .30-30 shot.  I have had several readers say they are very accurate for a very inexpensive (at the time of original sale) rifle, but a poor trigger pull.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version