Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 220 Single Shot Hammerless Shotguns

28 gauge first production

(1/4) > >>

Sentry44:
Hi Garnett,

Been a while.  Hope all is good down south. 

Having acquired a .22 Hornet and .410 at long last, my attention is turning to 28 gauge.  But as I look through old and current listings on the interweb, most seem to be later guns.

Are there first generation, Utica marked 28 gauges?  Or did they all come after?

Chris

Garnett:
Sentry,  My 28 gauge is a M220A made at Chicopee in 1954.  It is a standard gun with a walnut non-fluted stock.  The is another on Gun Broker now, also a 220A.  GB # 872663612.  It appears to be a standard unaltered gun.  The pictures are of a poor quality.  The 28 gauge was introduced in 1954.  They are hard to find.

Sentry44:
Thx Garnett.  I didnt realize there were no Utica era 28's.

Have a Happy 4th!

Chris

Sentry44:
Garnett,

Are you certain about 1954 being the intro year for 28 gauges?  I ask because I have seen forum threads elsewhere asserting that there are Utica marked 28's.  I have also seen one auction photo of what is claimed to be a 28, and you can see the Utica stamp.  It is possible they got the gauge wrong, obviously.

They certainly weren't 'new' in the late '30s, as I think Parker was making 28's in the 1920's.  Never popular, but not new.

Could Savage have made them and just not cataloged them for some reason...?

Have you seen a specific source for the 1954 date? 

Has anyone else ever SEEN a Utica stamped gun that was a 28ga?  That would settle the matter pretty quickly.

Many thanks,

Chris 

Sentry44:
Garnett? Do you recall your 1954 info source?

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version