Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

Early M219 rifle

(1/2) > >>

Garnett:

Here is a left and right side view of an early M219 rifle made at the Utica plant.  Note the flanged barrel and a curved shotgun style steel trigger guard with a slim line trigger.  Note also the -219- on the Right lower side of the action. 

Breaker:
I think that these pictures show the first style produced. The trigger-guard was blued steel. The only change made to the next variation was an aluminum (?) trigger-guard with a black-enameled finish.

Garnett:
Breaker, again, thanks for your input.  I have been gathering data, and have decided for clarity purposes, instead of calling them a Utica model with a gracefully curved steel trigger guard, or a Utica model with an alloy trigger guard painted black, to refer to them as a Utica First Model or Utica Second Model.  This is all my doing and has NOTHING to do with any factory description I have found.  Welcome to this forum!

Mike Armstrong:
I've seen a busted 220 trigger guard and think the alloy used is what used to be called "pot metal," a zinc/copper alloy.  Wrong color, crystalline  structure and hardness for aluminum, which still was an expensive material in the late 1940s and '50s.  I'm not sure when the alloy parts started, but think that was more-or-less the time frame. 

A zinc alloy called "Zamac" was even used for the frames of cheap firearms in that time frame and even later.  Ithaca used it for an underlever single shot shotgun (Model 66????) and a Martini-action single shot .22 that looked like a Winchester carbine. 

Was the frame of the Savage 101 possibly of this alloy, too?

Garnett:
I have a M101 pistol and the frame is an alloy of some kind.  I think the Ithaca was a model 89.  I could have purchased one recently at a gunshow for $50.00 and did not.  I am sorry now.  While it is an ugly gun, it has possibilites if a few custom features were added.  Like....throw away everything but the barrel and action and start fresh. :-) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version