Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 6823 times)

coyotejoe

Howdy
« on: August 06, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »
Howdy, I'm coyotejoe and I have been a long time fan of the Savage 219 but only recently discovered this forum. My first introduction to eh Savage 219 was about 1958 when I was 16 years old. My dad traded into a .22 Hornet with a Weaver J4 scope. Ammo was expensive buy our standards at the time so I never really got to shoot it much. I did shoot one groundhog and it worked great for that but it was hardly a test, big fat groundhog at maybe 30 yards.
 When I got back from the army my dad had traded off the hornet for a muzzleloader so my 219 adventure was on  hold for a few years. Over the past 20 years or so I have bought and sold several 219s in 30/30 plus one 22 Hornet and one K Hornet. I'm right now eying a .22 Hornet/20 ga. combo I've seen for sale for $350 and that seems like a lot but I don't find much else available.
 I hope to learn the history of th 219 and maybe a pick up a few tips on working with it, especially how to get a light, crisp and safe trigger pull on the old striker models.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 08:20:08 PM »
Welcome to this forum!  I hope you will find some information of interest to you.  If the "Utility Gun" combo you are talking about is the one on Guns America, I have looked at it.  I have 3 of the combo "Utility Gun" sets, and they do not  become available very often.  You will see lots of 219/220's with an "extra" barrel, but unless there is a correct forearm for each barrel, it could be a set someone has put together.  Be sure to ask before buying if the "assembly" numbers on both barrels match the numbers on the receiver and the stock, under the butt plate.  Also, if you are looking at the GA sale gun, the stock has been shortened.  Normal LOP is 14 inches. This one is 13.5 with a recoil pad.   A friend of mine in California has worked on his trigger/sear and has improved the pull.  Good luck with your hunt!  Best wishes, Garnett
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:30:25 AM by Garnett »

coyotejoe

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »
Thanks Garnett, yes that is the one I was looking at. I really don't need a "set", I just want a nice 219 rifle but don't find a lot of options right now. I do have a C&R license but that doesn't help if no one wishes to sell. I'm not a collector, just looking for a shooter, would love to find a 25/35 but will be happy with a 30/30.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 08:04:43 PM »
Joe, there is a .30-30 on Gunbroker right now.  A little rough, but so far the price is low.  GB # 575 346 885.  It already has scope blocks on it.  I missed this in your original post, but caught it in your last post.  To the best of my research, the 219 was never chambered for the .25-35.  If you find one, it would most likely be a .25-20 that had been re-chambered.  That would be a shame, as the .25-20's are rare.  I have only seen 3 for sale in the past 8 or 9 years.   Good luck with your hunt!

coyotejoe

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »
Also on Gunbroker is a .256 Win Mag. It appears to be  a rebarrel using a stub from perhaps a shotgun. I'm watching that but am not really salivating over it, not at $450 with no original finish. This is the one I wish I could afford. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/576446571
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 11:45:55 AM by coyotejoe »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 11:56:20 AM »
The German single shot is beautiful!  It is only $3,000.  Just look at it as an investment in your future!   :)  The .256 has been listed a long time.  This same company has offered other Savage s.s., but all of them have been reworked and ruined as far as my tastes are concerned. 

coyotejoe

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 07:36:40 PM »
Investment in my future? Well I don't have a lot of future at this point, 50 years of smoking anything that will burn has caught up with me in the form of COPD. At this stage I can still enjoy shooting and reloading but hunting is lost now, even if I shot a deer from the road I wouldn't be able to load it in the truck. And of course it only gets worse, in a few years I won't be able even to enjoy a day at the range. I guess I'm just saying I'm more than ever into instant gratification. 
well there is also another reason to pass on that fine stalking rifle, I would just have to get it drilled & tapped for a scope mount and collectors would line up to piss on my grave. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:39:21 PM by coyotejoe »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 07:48:42 PM »
I did not look at the picture carefully, but just assumed it had provisions for a claw mounted scope.  I have a Model 1905 Mannlicher-Schoenauer (9x56 M/S caliber) that has open sights and for your same reason, I have never put a scope on it.  There are just some things you don't do! 

coyotejoe

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 10:32:41 AM »
I got you book yesterday and had a few minutes to do a quick scan this morning. It looks quite useful. I have often joked about the 219 that savage decided what the world needed was a good 30 dollar rifle, I was amazed to see that when first introduced it was only thirteen dollars.
 I followed that beat up 30/30 on gunbroker. When the bid got to $185 I decided I'd not bid. I see it finally went for $302.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 12:00:05 PM »
I am surprised sometimes at the prices some things bring.  I think it depends mostly on who is bidding at the time.  I am glad you like the book.  Speaking of a $30 rifle.....Didn't a long ago politician make the comment that "what this country needs is a good five cent cigar!" ???

coyotejoe

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 05:13:18 PM »
Yep, thirty dollar rifle was more to my taste than any cigar.  LOL