Author Topic: WANTED! Checkering  (Read 2294 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
WANTED! Checkering
« on: September 07, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
We had a local person who did really good checkering at a very reasonable price.  His eye sight is going bad so he no longer does work.  Do any of you have someone you know and trust that can do checkering at a reasonable price?  I really hate to send off my wood to someone I do not know.  We have one other person in the area who checkers, but he charges about 4 times as much as my normal guy. 

Mike Armstrong

Re: WANTED! Checkering
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
Garnett, I have had 2 very good checkering jobs done by Ahlman's Gunsmithing in Minnesota.  One was plain checkering on a replacement stock for an L.C. Smith  SxS 16 guage double.  They replicated the plain factory checkering (nothing special, it was a "Featherweight Field" model).    Done about ten years ago.

The other was a replacement stock in very dense figured walnut for a Savage Model 333 O/U 12 guage (imported by Savage, made by Valmet in Finland).   I ordered rather coarse "French" or "skip-a-line" checkering for that one, 18 lines to the inch, because I often hunt with gloves with that gun and wanted something that I could keep hold of. 

Both jobs came out just as I wanted and if I recollect, cost about $120 each, buttstock and forend.  Done quite fast, too.  I ordered both in the dead of winter, which is their slow season.  I believe the checkerer of the Savage/Valmet which I had done about 18 months ago, was a woman, but don't recall her name.

You might google them and look at their lists of services.  Their gunsmithing department's # is (507) 685-4243.

Good luck with the project!

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: WANTED! Checkering
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 11:59:50 AM »
Mike, Many thanks!