Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3349 times)

hallobay

Hello
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:36:34 PM »
Hello from Homer, Alaska.  I collect 22 Hornet rifles and one day happened to purchase a Savage 219 in 22 Hornet caliber because of its appearance more than anything.  The rifle had a side mounted Weaver 440 and while used, the rifle appeared to be well cared for.  The plan was to remove the "little 440 Weaver" and put a 6 power Leupold on it, but I decided to try it as I received it first.  Taking the rifle to our local range stunned everyone including me!  5 shot groups at 100yds repeatedly were less than 5/8" of an inch and that came with Hornady factory loaded ammunition and a scope outdated by decades!  That old rifle showed up my modern scoped 22 Hornets including the Win 43, Ruger 77 and #1, Browning 1885 and an A-bolt.  Not one of those rifles in sporting form has been able to match the "little old 219" and I am now forever hooked on these rifles which were manufactured from a time when firearm manufacturers took pride in what they built, unlike the stuff they are spewing out today.  It will be interesting to see if the recently manufactured firearms will still function with their original parts after 75 years of use as does the 219.

I look forward to getting to know many of you while I am still fortunate to be able to do so.  There are quite a few of us "AARP-Card-Carrying-Members-of-the-Over-The-Hill-Gang" that get together regarding old rifles and reloading, while many of us do not hunt anymore, we can all still shoot.

I tried to post a couple of photos of the rifle, but was defeated in the attempt.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:55:23 PM by gwsiii »

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:43:10 PM »
Welcome to this forum!  Great pictures.  Thanks for sharing with us!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:05:12 PM by Garnett »