Author Topic: Savage 219B: What retracts the firing pin?  (Read 6841 times)

Mannyrock

Savage 219B: What retracts the firing pin?
« on: October 08, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »
Hey Guys,

I am new to this board, and happy to find some experts on the 219.

I have a 219B, in .30-30  It is definitely a model B.  (This is marked on the receiver.)  The rifle is in really good shape, with a  really tight action.

After I fire a round, and then attempt to open the action, the firing pin is not going all of the way back into the action block.  It protrudes out of the firing pin hole too far, and is jamming, rubbing really hard against the back of the spent shell. 

There is no headspace problem. I have already checked this.

In order to try to rectify this, I need to know the following:   After I fire the shell, and start to open the action, what is suppose to make the firing pin retract back into the action block so that it is flush?     Is there a mechanical connector between the lever operating rod and the back of the pin itself, which is suppose to pull the pin back in when I open the lever to open the action?     Or, is the pin just supposed to be "pushed" back into the hole by the little beveled cut on the face of the extractor/ejector?

I am going to have to take this rifle to a gunsmith to have it fixed, and I really want to know exactly how it operates before I talk to him about it.   I have a brand new firing pin and pin retainer screw for him to install, but if there is some type of mechanical connector that is broken or missing, I want to buy that first so that I can also drop that off with him.

Thanks for all info.

Mannyrock

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Savage 219B: What retracts the firing pin?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 06:26:56 PM »
I am away from home attending a gun show with my son.  I have not had this problem with my 219B.  I will look at mine and get back to you.  As well as I can remember, the 219B has an internal hammer, NOT a striker.  When the barrel is opened, a stud on the barrel lug engages a cocking lever on the bottom right side of the action.  This cocks the hammer.  Just off hand, I am thinking perhaps the firing pin has lots of dirt around it that is keeping it from retracting fully.  The extractor should push the firing pin back into the receiver when it moves past the pin.  Let me look at my guns and I will get back with you early next week.  Best wishes, Garnett

gwsiii

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:08:13 PM »
I can never get Daddy's 219s to open, I have to be sure I've pushed the lever ALL the way to the right, otherwise, it seems like the firing pin is hanging...At least for me.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 12:45:30 PM »
Mannyrock, I am home and have access to my M219B in .30-30 caliber.  When I open the action, the hammer is cocked and the firing pin in not visible.  It is completely withdrawn to the inside of the action.  I have looked at a schematic of 219B parts and it only shows a single firing pin with no spring.  There are two part numbers, one for the shotgun pin and the other for a rifle pin.  I do not know if there is something internally that retracts the firing pin when the action is opened, but I don't think there is.  As I have mentioned in the past, I am not a gun smith.  I am fortunate to have 3 expert gun smiths in town.  I have the internal parts removed, clean them and then get the action reassembled.  Perhaps (hopefully) one of our readers can answer this. 

I can bump the muzzle on my toe and my firing pin will fall forward, and then when I tilt the action backwards, the pin falls freely back into the action.  This makes me believe the opening of the barrel pushes the pin to the rear.  Knowing this,  perhaps you have some dirt inside the firing pin hole that is keeping it from retracting far enough.  I would suggest removing the barrel and the stock and soaking the action in cleaner for a few hours.  After soaking, remove the firing pin.  It is held in place by one screw on the right side of the action.  Then try blowing out the firing pin hole.  Cans of compressed air can be purchased at computer supply stores.  Clean and oil  the pin thoroughly before reinstalling.  I am sorry I can't give you a definite answer to your specific question.  Good luck.  Garnett

Mannyrock

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 07:28:09 PM »
 Garrett,

Thanks so much for all of your help.  My rifle/pin behaves in exactly the same manner as yours, and my analysis of the schematic is the same as yours.  The extractor has a beveled cut on it, which I believe is suppose to shove the pin back into the receiver hole when the action is opened after firing.

Mine will work fine when there is no shell in the gun.  The pin gets shoved back in, all of the way, when the action is opened.

But, when I fire a round, the firing pin wants to get stuck in the back of the primer, and not get shoved back in.   The primer is not pierced.   And, I have tested how tight the action closes, using a thin strip of tape, and it locks up really really tight.  Since the rifle has seen very little use, I find it hard to believe that it is a headspace issue.

I believe that perhaps someone replaced the firing pin, but did not size it.  It may be just a fraction of an inch too long.  This may have also cause it to get bent upward at a very slight angle by virtue of the upward pressure of the extractor. 

I dropped my rifle off at the gunsmiths, and they say they will call me, so I guess we will find out.  Turn around time is about 5 weeks.

I will definitely let you know.

Thanks,

Mannyrock

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 08:57:14 PM »
Please do keep us posted on the out come.  Your gunsmith must be very busy!  Best wishes, Garnett

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 02:03:29 PM »
While on the subject of firing pins and cocking the M219/220.......One of our forum members has advised me that he has encountered a cocking problem on some of the early striker fired models that are cocked with the top lever movement to the right when the action is unlocked.  He says it is possible to open the action without pushing the lever far enough to the right to actually cock the striker, thus leaving the firing pin tip exposed.  I have not had this problem with any of mine, but it is something to be aware of.   

Mannyrock

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 03:11:22 PM »
Well guys,

I got my 219B back from the gunsmith shop.  The super expensive place.

Amazing, but they installed a new firing pin, sized it to proper length, test fired it for function, and said it now functions perfectly, all for the grand price of $31.50.  (They gave me the test fired shell.)

(I am pretty sure that they gave it to one of their really old gunsmiths to work on, who just thought it was fun to fix a really old Sears type rifle, instead of the $5,000 rifles they normally work on.)

I haven't tested it out yet, but I'll get it out soon and let you guys know.

So, I can highly recommend Clark Bros. Gunshop, in Warrenton, VA, about 90  minutes southwest of D.C.  (Been going there off an on since 1964.)

Mannyrock

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 07:12:51 PM »
Thanks for the update!  And WOW....the cost was really great!  Please keep up posted.   Happy Thanksgiving!  Garnett