Author Topic: 22 hornet 219 with messed up chamber  (Read 4030 times)

olafhardtB

22 hornet 219 with messed up chamber
« on: March 08, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »
I bought a 219 with a messed up chamber and many other tracks that were left by Bubba. I have got it to shoot but not to extract. I attempted to polish the chamber and now it is worse. Mea culpa, I to seem to have Bubba blood in my veins. I would like to think on rechambering it to an improved Hornet. I really don't trust the last charactor who worked on it.....me. Can anybody recommend a competent smith to do this and comment on calibers to look at. I am thinking the K Hornet. I would like to be able to fire form regular Hornet brass. I don't care to up the velocities but could tolerate some extra juice and if I am going to do this, I think a case more ameniable to reloading would be a good idea. What do you guys think?

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 22 hornet 219 with messed up chamber
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »
We have two excellent gun smiths in town.  Both build custom rifles in standard and custom calibers.  I suggest you contact either or both about your problem.  McCullough Rifle company, Jimmy McCullough, 334-875-6443 or HK Custom Guns, Harvey King, 334-875-2978.  Both of these gentlemen are good friends and have been doing work for me for years.  Have you considered the .219 Zipper?  Good luck in solving your problem, and please share with us your progress.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
For some reason this seems to be a common problem--Bubba just loves to foul up 219s, esp. Hornets!

Another fix is to have the bore relined.  This used to be a normal gunsmithing procedure and didn't cost the earth, although it wasn't cheap. 

Another is to have it rebored to a larger caliber: .25-20, .25-35,  .32-20, or .357.  The first two will cause you some extra work to find cases or ammo, although the .25-35 seems to have had a little spurt of interest recently.  Only specialty smiths do the rebores, though, and they do them in "caliber" batches (all the same caliber at once) so if you get lucky it may be quick.  If you don't you may have to wait many months.

I have a 219 .25-20 with the bore relined to restore it to a shooter (it was trashed when I got it like many .25-20 bores).  Also have a .30-30 barrel that was relined to .25-35 because it had been "ringed" TWICE (sometimes Bubba just don't learn....).  Unfortunately the 'smith that did those relines and a bunch of others for me has retired.

As Garnett suggests, the easiest "fix" if a .22 K Hornet reamer won't clean up your chamber (and it may not), IS to rechamber to .219 Zipper.  But that has two drawbacks: you'll need to reload with Hornet bullets to get best accuracy because the two ctgs. have different twists, and cases will probably have to be ordered from a custom case former like Graf's, or reformed from .25-35s or .30-30s.

Have fun, I hope you can revive that old gal!

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:42:14 AM »
Recent article on reboring rifles in either the March or May issue of "Rifle" magazine explains reboring and gives some US shops that do it, in case anyone needs the service to put a rifle back in commission.  Relining is harder to find, but I have some sources for that too.

Mike Armstrong