Author Topic: Trigger Pull on the Model 219  (Read 3405 times)

jaegerjp

Trigger Pull on the Model 219
« on: July 14, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »
I know that a post was made about a year ago on improving the trigger pull on a 219.  I recently acquired a 219C in 22 hornet.  The gun is in very good shape, but I have to admit, the trigger pull is not what I would call "smooth".  It is very stiff, making it very difficult to shoot good groups.  Garnett - were you ever able to improve this on your gun, regarding your first post on the subject?  I would like to get this better, but not sure who to approach or how to do it.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Trigger Pull on the Model 219
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:33:57 PM »
I have not done anything at all, as I have only shot one of my M219's, in .30-30, years ago.  I think I may have mentioned earlier as a quick fix (slight) improvement, to add a trigger shoe.  I saw one rifle recently on the internet with a trigger shoe.  There is one paragraph in the December 1962 Shooting Times Magazine (can be found frequently on Ebay for about $8.00) on improving the trigger pull by smoothing the sear.   The article is: Savage Single Shot Action, by Frank de Haas.  Supposedly this can be done without disassembly.  I personally, would not attempt to do this, but have my gunsmith do it.  I suppose that would make an interesting addition to my book, to do this and have pictures showing the procedure.  While the outside of these guns, especially the early ones, have a very nice finish, most of the internal parts are crude by most standards.  I am sorry I cannot be of more help.  Maybe some of the other readers?  I think Joe
Summitt had told me that he worked on his trigger pull on some of his guns. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:15:17 AM by Garnett »

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Trigger Pull on the Model 219
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 12:03:38 PM »
Since this subject was brought up, I have built a 219 rifle in .22 Hornet caliber for my daughter.  The trigger pull was HORRIBLE!  I carried the gun to my machinist friend and he greatly improved the trigger pull.  I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but the pull is now very smooth.  So, I know the triggers can be improved.