Author Topic: Help  (Read 3125 times)

jted

Help
« on: March 17, 2018, 10:03:02 PM »
I need some help in dating and the model of this action it has a couple of unfamiliar things but since I have been reading old posts I think it is a very early 220 It is smooth on both sides with a steal trigger guard and the slim trigger. What confuses me is the placement of the screws on the outside of the receiver. I like that that is one of the reasons I picked it up. On the right side it has a small circle around a 21. The last thing is a number stamped on the inside near the breech 202 and a s very near the breech  here are some pictures if I can add them.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:47:42 AM by jted »
Jted

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:09:18 PM »
I have been away from home for several days and just returned.  Yes, you do have an early M220 action.  I will go into more detail tomorrow.  Thanks for your inquiry!

jted

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:49:30 AM »
Thanks, I look forward to your answers.  Jted
Jted

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 06:58:56 PM »
As I said earlier you do have an early M220.  If I understand you correctly, what you are calling "screws" are actually pins.  The large pin in the front, is the one the barrel lug pivots on.  The small one holds in the internal parts....locking lug, sear, etc.  Your action is a "striker" fired action.  Actions that have 3 pins, are "hammer" fired actions.  The number "202" is an assembly number.  The only guns I have found in my research that have a 3 digit number, instead of something like "Y' over "w2z", have been "Utility" guns that came from the factory with 2 barrels.  On these guns (I have one) the 3 digit number is on the inside of the receiver, in front of the barrel lug, inside the forearm on the wood (not the metal) and on the butt under the butt plate.  Also, the red color of your receiver indicates it was reblued.  Do you have the rest of the gun, of just the receiver?   The 21 in a circle is, according to Mr. Callahan, a former historian for Savage, an unidentified inspectors mark. Please keep us posted on your progress. 

jted

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:57:12 AM »
Hi,
The screws I spoke of are the ones holding on the trigger guard. I did not make that clear. My other guns have the forward screw in the receiver and the aft one exposed. Both of these are easy to get to.
Jted

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 08:31:50 AM »
Silvanut, I am old and a little slow to understand sometimes.  Can you be more specific about your problem?  Are you trying to date your gun or ???  I will try to help when I understand what you are asking.  Pictures will also help.  Thanks for joining this forum.  I hope you will find items of interest.  Best wishes, Garnett