Author Topic: All dressed up and no season to hunt.  (Read 3308 times)

Cleetus

All dressed up and no season to hunt.
« on: January 27, 2018, 02:25:45 PM »
I got my new to me 220A 20 gauge cleaned up. So now all the boys need is a .410 and the family is complete. It was so tempting to alter the 220A stock and flute the comb as well as narrow the forearm. There is about enough wood in the forearm to shape it down to almost the same as a Utica 220 except a tiny bit at the tip. Maybe a project for next winter. These are all oil finished now with a wee tad of old fashioned marine spar varnish near the end mixed with tung oil finish. This is non urethane spar varnish with the old fashioned resins and hardeners. It turns out tube a recommended practice form the first part of the last century. Once it sets up for a while 1500 wet and dry sandpaper with tung oil and then wiped dry can be used to adjust the shine. Hope folks enjoy the pictures.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: All dressed up and no season to hunt.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:42:54 PM »
Very nice pictures!  The wood looks great!  Am I correct in thinking with the formula you use on the wood, if you get a small scratch it can be removed/hidden with another light coat? Thanks for posting and good luck on finding the right .410.

Cleetus

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 05:23:54 PM »
Yes, it is much easier to repair than a Browning like urethane finishing. More flexible and doesn't scratch as obviously. It just takes a bit of practice to get the original refinishing technique down. If you want to get a look like the original Savage finish you can do it pretty quick because you are not trying to fill the grain or build it up. I never dry sand a wood stock so very little is changed in the process.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 07:39:20 AM »
Deosentai,  Welcome!  I hope you will find items of interest to you, and will share your thoughts on the M219/220 Savage single shots.  Best wishes, Garnett