Author Topic: M220 Hard To Open  (Read 2517 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
M220 Hard To Open
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:24:24 PM »
I have several M220's that are in excellent condition, showing little use.  On some of them, they are very hard to open, and require what I consider extreme pressure on the top lever, before they will open.  This happens mainly on the "B, C, & D suffix" models.  I wonder if by the time these were made, the assembly fitting standards were a little slack.  On the later guns with a lot of use they seem to open much easier.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Did you do any work to the locking mechanism to make them open easier?

gkmckenzie

Re: M220 Hard To Open
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
I have noticed as I have gotten older my hands and grip have gotten weaker "Just an observation"

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 10:24:41 PM »
I know that has lots to do with it.  I am 80, and have had lots of trouble with my hands, but it does seem to be with the newer, seldom used models.  m A friend was having the same problem.  He said the polished some of the parts and that seemed to help some. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:58:33 AM by Garnett »

Cleetus

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 01:56:31 PM »
Hi Garnett,

Yes the 28 gauge I got was almost impossible to open to the point I might break the top lever. As you know, it was basically unused. To get a bit more clearance on the locking lug so it opens sooner but does not effect the resting place alignment of the top lever, you have to change the slope or pitch of the bottom angle on the lug attached to the barrel. This way the lug attached to the lever mechanism will disengage the barrel lug slightly sooner. You could also slightly polish the upper surface of the barrel lug with 600 to 800 grit wet and dry sand paper and light gun oil if it is the rough surface causing the issue. If you take off of the top surface the top lever may move left. I used a very fine file to slightly change the angle at the point of the lug from the bottom. You can round it ever so slightly and the gun will close a bit easier as well. Then wrap the file with the sandpaper to polish it. I have a 20 gauge 220a that needs that done to it even though the top lever is not to the right I have to push it very far to the right before it will open. Clear as mud?

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 03:22:05 PM »
I understand what you are saying, but would not try it myself.  I will print your remedy and take one of my guns with it, to my machinist/gunsmith and ask him to do the same for me.  I know exactly what you are saying about the top lever.  One of my last purchases, was as new.  I had to put so much pressure on the top lever that I did think I might break it.  Thanks for your input.  Hopefully this will help others.  Best wishes, Garnett
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 06:43:53 PM by Garnett »