Author Topic: Loose forearm on 219  (Read 3185 times)

Trooperdan

• Retired army and DoD civil Service
Loose forearm on 219
« on: July 01, 2018, 01:48:10 PM »
I have a 219 in .30-30 that the previous owner must have thought was too difficult to get the forearms on and off so he grown away at the semi-circular lug where the spring latch arm engages.  The result is a forearm that has about 1/2" pf play and comes off way to easily.  I am thinking silver soldering some steel or brass shim stock back on the lug would restore some of the tightness I am looking for but I'll confess that I really don't understand the mechanics of the forearm latch mechanism.  Any advice?

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Loose forearm on 219
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 03:15:18 PM »
Instead of your plan of trying to repair the butchered part, I would suggest looking on E-Bay and Gun Broker for the complete part and replace the entire metal assembly.  Also try Numrich.  On all 3 locations just enter 219 and 220 Savage parts.  The parts are the same for either 219 or 220.  You should be able to find what you need.  If you don't find a complete assembly, check for the individual parts.  Just be sure you get the exact one you have, as there are at least 3 different kinds of forearm attaching metal.  I am away from home and don't have my research material so I can't be absolutely how many different assemblies there are.  I hope this helps some.

I just found this complete assembly on Numrich.  Information below.  If it is the same as yours, it is about $23 plus shipping. 

Forend Spring Housing Assembly, New Factory Original
Manufacturer: SPRINGFIELD
Model: 24 SERIES, 94 SERIES 107 SERIES, 219/220 SERIES, 940/947 SERIES
Product #: 148310B
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:30:28 PM by Garnett »

Trooperdan

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 04:03:26 PM »
Garnett, thanks for the quick reply and the research!  I did a rather poor job of describing where the atrocity took place, didn't have the gun in front of me and went from memory, always a bad idea!
  The grinding was on the fore-end lug on the barrel, I don't "think" there were any modification to the forearm but I'll try to use a different one and see if there is a difference.  There are obvious grinding marks the entire bend of the forearm lug.

I am still having a problem understanding what part has been modified.  Please look at Ebay 292601472445  and let me know if this is the part that has been modified.  If it is, it is an easy replacement.  If the barrel lug itself, in the curve that fits on the pivot pin in the frame, has been modified, then I don't know of any solution but to either silver solder a shim and dress it to fit.  I hope this is not the problem.  I look forward to hearing from you.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 04:30:08 PM by Garnett »

Cleetus

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 04:23:43 PM »
My solution to loose forearms on savage break action single shots is to add a white line spacer between the wood at the rear of the forearm and the metal part that pivots on the action. If it is not too loose apiece of sour cream container lid works. If much looser then get the type of spacer material they sell for using between butt stocks recoil pads. This is a non distructive solution that often works quite well on those guns when the forearm wood has shrunk or someone has replaced a forearm with one from another gun. The lug on the barrel that engages the spring steel quite often appears ground down and was probably done at the factory to make the original forearm fit. My fix gets rid of the barrel slop that occurs when the gun is open on guns that are tight and on face when closed.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 04:32:40 PM »
Cleetus, Thanks for this idea.  I had never thought of it before.  Garnett

Trooperdan

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
Cleytus, thanks a bunch for that suggestion!  Darned easy to try and just might solve the problem... let you guys know in a couple of days.
Dan

Trooperdan

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 01:13:44 PM »
Cleetus, thanks again for a brilliant suggestion!  I added a shim cut from a cottage cheese container behind the metal at thew end of the forearm and it removed all the play!  And I think it looks good as well!  So glad there are smart people in the world that don't mind sharing!
  I was all set to try to add steel shims to the barrel lug, silver solder, etc and you saved me a ton of work!

Dan

Cleetus

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »
I'm glad it worked out for you and you now have a "Customized Stock". I was going to mention that if it was needed something slightly thicker like an ice cream pail lid might be intermediate in thickness to the commercial white line spacer material. Just remember to clean the hinge pin and forearm metal face often and keep it greased. Those are the only real wear points along with the rear barrel lug. happy hunting.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 10:59:38 AM »
Thanks for sharing this easy fix, guys!  You never know what you'll find out there in the wonderful world of Bubba the Gunsmith!