Author Topic: Stock clean ?  (Read 6264 times)

Art Seib

Stock clean ?
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »
What do you use to take years of build up on your guns?

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Stock clean ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:31:43 PM »
I personally have just sprayed a good stain remover, like "Spray & Wash", and rubbed off with soft cloth.  My son sprays with "WD40" and rubs down.  Both give good results.  Afterward, a little paste wax or liquid wax will help restore some shine.  Does anyone else have any other suggestions?  Should the stocks be on military surplus guns, I use linseed oil on U.S. stocks and Tongue Oil on German stocks. 

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 10:34:04 PM »
Since this last posting, my gunsmith/machinist has advised me of a quick and very easy way to remove the old finish completely if you want to refinish the wood.  He recommended a spray product by SuperTech, called Brake Parts Cleaner.  It will work on the old oil or varnish finishes, but does not work good on any of the epoxy or polyurethane hard finishes.  Just spray on and immediately wipe off with "0000" steel wool.  After that, wipe down with a clean rag and follow your normal procedure for wood refinishing.  It only takes two or three sprays to remove all the old finish.  CAUTION:  HIGHLY FLAMMABLE AND VERY HARMFUL VAPORS.  USE OUTDOORS ONLY.  It is much easier to use than a varnish remover. 

UPDATE:  4-9-20   This product has been taken off the market for some reason.  I have tried several sources and they all say unavailable.  I bought another brand of Brake Parts Cleaner, and it WILL NOT remove the finish on 3 different stocks I tried it on.l 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:58:43 AM by Garnett »

Cleetus

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 03:23:56 PM »
A word of warning about WD40. It is a good solvent that prevents rust but it also prevents subsequent lubricants from doing their job. Keep it away from metals on guns you like.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 04:20:17 PM »
I was told that the "WD"stood for water displacement, but had never heard it only prevented other lubricants from doing their job.  Thanks for the hint!

Cleetus

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 09:14:48 AM »
So says my son, the aircraft maintenance engineer, whose job it is to keep super fine tolerance helicopter mechanisms from failing. WD40 might be fine for the rusty gate hinge and probably won't ruin a gun but it may contract the proper lubricants properties you apply after it. At least that was my understanding of his explaination for not allowing it in the hangers.

Trooperdan

• Retired army and DoD civil Service
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »
I do know that WD40 will build up a varnish like substance on guns if it is allowed to stay there for a while.  Then people use more WD40 to dissolve that varnish and the cycle continues.  it IS a water-displacing oil however but not a lubricant for long term storage.  Probably would make a good cleaner too!