Author Topic: New member of the cult.  (Read 4368 times)

CDSUSMC

New member of the cult.
« on: March 16, 2019, 02:09:04 PM »
Hi all, so glad there is a forum for the Savage 219s. I have collected the model 23s for sometime and have now decided to move on to the 219s as the calibers are the same and I have the reloading equipment already. So as with most things with me I have started this new endeavor somewhat bass ackward by purchasing a barrel first. I have a 25-20 cal barrel to start. From what I have read hear I believe it has the cocking lobe used on the newer type barrels. It would be greatly appreciated if someone had a photo of this to post. As this will determine the type of action I can buy. Feedback from any and all is appreciated more the you could know. There is little information out there, all we have are sites such as this. I have added photos of my barrel.
Chris

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:21:44 PM by CDSUSMC »

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: New member of the cult.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 08:14:02 PM »
CDSUSMC,  Thanks for joining our forum and sharing your thoughts and pictures with us.  The .25-20 barrel is an early one and hard to find.  The barrel you have is for a First or Second Model Utica or a later M219 action made at Chicopee Falls.  These 3 actions cock when the top lever is moved to the right.  These are "striker" fired models.  You will need a Utica or early Chicopee action.  Starting with the M219B Chicopee Falls action, the "striker" was replaced with an internal hammer.  Your barrel will not work on this action and later "C" & "D" suffix actions.  It may fit, will does not have the cocking stud to engage the cocking lever on the inside of the later actions.  Also, please be aware when you do purchase the early striker fired action, the barrel may drop right in, or may need to be fitted by a gunsmith or someone with machining skills.  The top lever on the "B" and later suffix models will open the action by moving either to the right or to the left, but will NOT cock the hammer.  I am away from home and will return Monday.   As soon as I can I will post a picture of the correct action.    The striker fired actions only have one pin in the receiver for the internal parts.  I hope this information will be of some help to you.  My book  goes into great detail about the M219 and M220 actions.  Best wishes, Garnett

Please look at the M219 section of this forum and select the "Engraved M219" started by me.  There is a picture of a Striker fired action of the design that you will need for your early 219 barrel.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:19:30 PM by Garnett »

CDSUSMC

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 08:34:16 PM »
Thank you for your time and information. This will be a great help. I look forward to building a collection of 219s and with your knowledge and experience it will be far more enjoyable. I have always had a soft spot for the Savage line of rifles, started collecting the model 23s and had a lot of fun doing so.  I live in up-state NY about 40 mile from Utica so I consider them "home town" stock. Again thanks for the helping hand and a good start.
Chris

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:46:22 AM »
If that barrel has a good shooting bore, it's a rare bird.  I have one just like it that was from a second model Utica action, but it BADLY needed relining--bore looked like it had been cleaned with iodine!  Now it shoots like a dream, but gunsmiths who will reline a rifle are getting rarer and more expensive every day....

Welcome to the forum!  (I also love 23s and have had a passel of 'em.  Now I only have my grandfather's 23AA and a very late--postwar--23B).

Mike Armstrong

CDSUSMC

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 08:28:03 AM »
Well Mike, no pits and a good shine. If it gives me any issues then I won't think twice about relining it. There are a few smiths I have used and we're happy with. Just bought a Savage 220A in 16 Gauge, from what I understand the 25-20 should mate up. The new guy (220A) will be coming in about a week, I will post photos. Summer is around the corner and the range is just starting clear up from all the snow this year. Now I have something to look forward too.
Chris
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:16:03 PM by CDSUSMC »

CDSUSMC

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 12:51:37 PM »
Hi all, the 220A has arrived and the 25-20 barrel seems to fit quite nicely. I have some ammo also in route that will be here with in the week. If the overtime continues I can start my hunt for a 22 hornet or 30-30 barrel. The oddball 12 gauge shotgun barrel I got has been a bust. The ejector is non-functional, it doesn't catch and when I exsamened it after removal it's got a notched out area were it should catch. I will go in to this in depth in another post with photos. Enjoy the photos of my new 220A.
Chris

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:53:14 PM by CDSUSMC »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 01:01:37 PM »
Chris, It looks like a nice clean gun!  Thanks for sharing the photos with us.  You are lucky that the .25-20 barrel just "dropped in".  There appears to be a date code on the receiver.  I can't make it out.  If you will share it with us I will try to determine when your gun was made.  The also may be date codes on both barrels.  Thanks again for sharing with us!

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 12:09:19 PM »
Neat little gun, Chris!   A  .25-20 is "enough gun" for a lot of things!

If you can't get the 12 guage barrel to work, I have an extra 28" I could sell you.  It's for a 220B or D but will work on your receiver, and has the proper "shotgun" walnut forend.

CDSUSMC

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 11:35:18 AM »
Garnett,  there is a code on the receiver and it's a 4E in a circle. There is also markings on the inside, I have included a photo. Also came across at Tenite clip on that will need some hardware. Have a photo of it included, should make a fun little side project and learn the parts. Mike I PMed you about the barrel.
Chris

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:40:14 AM by CDSUSMC »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 01:27:50 PM »
Chris, the "E" us for 1953 and the M220A's started production at Chicopee Falls, Mass.   Good luck with your project.

Cleetus

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 07:17:49 PM »
Hi Chris and welcome. You probably know this but look very closely at the breech face and chamber. They can be off a bit on angle or just have a big enough gap that head space can be an issue on these rimmed cartridges. I have a .22 hornet that at first glance looks fine and closes with the barrel lug engaged fine but has just enough gap to let the cartridge move when fired and the primer backs out and binds the action when you go to open it. I am sure its not good for accuracy either. The .22 hornet cartridge is probably worse than others as the SAMI specs on rim thickness are quite liberal and modern manufacturers go with the thinest rim so they will fit in any gun. The old Savages have a fairly deep cut in the for the rim which doesn't help with newer ammo.

CDSUSMC

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 06:49:56 PM »
Cleetus, all seems well and tight. I will take all precautions safety wise and also plan on using very lite loads to start. Thank you for the concern. The weather has delayed my first shot because the road into the range has been either ice or mud or both. I will report in when I do take that first shot.
Chris

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »
Chris, I'm very familiar with your range access problem from my years "upstate."  And finding those Hornet cases in the slush can be a drag, too!  Good luck with the first testfire!

Mike Armstrong