Author Topic: X marked the spot.  (Read 2393 times)

CDSUSMC

X marked the spot.
« on: May 01, 2019, 08:55:44 PM »
Hi all, got a new one in. It came with a 30-30 barrel and when I went to look for the date code all I could find was an "X" . I added a photo. The person I got this from also had a 220A in 16 Gauge that we worked a deal for $125 free shipping. So well had to get that too. The 16 Gauge has a date code of 13 or so it looks, photo of that one also. The 30-30 has no markings anywhere on the receiver other than that"X" , it does have only a single pin so I believe it to be striker type, but mechanically it looks quite different from the 220A inside. I think I need to stop buying gun and invest in a good book for this model, anyone know we're I can get one? Kidding. Any information on the"X" would be appreciated. Lastly bought a 12 gauge barrel from a fellow site mate here and I couldn't be happier.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: X marked the spot.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 10:14:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing this information!  I have never seen this "cross" proof mark.  I have seen "+" marks, they are completely different from what is on your gun.  As to the date code, could it be "1B"?  "B" would signify 1950 and would be correct for Chicopee Falls.  However, all date codes I have found have been on the left side of the frame and the barrel.  Yes, both are striker models, but have different triggers, sears, and safeties.  What address is on the .30-30 barrel?  Thanks again for sharing!

CDSUSMC

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:45:17 AM »
Here's the image of the 30-30 barrel.

CDSUSMC

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 11:19:05 AM »
Thanks for this photo.  I would normally call your .30-30 action a "Second Model Utica".  Alloy guard with slim trigger.  However, two things prevent me from doing this with your rifle.  Now, assuming the assembly numbers match and  because of the color casehardened frame, I believe when Savage moved production from Utica to Chicopee Falls, the already completed actions were barreled and color casehardened at Chicopee Falls and Chicopee made barrels installed.  I have no proof of this.  It is just, to me, a logical guess as to why early, normally unmarked, blued actions from Utica, are color casehardened, with Chicopee barrels.   Thanks again for sharing with us!

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 01:38:15 PM »
Savage, to my knowledge never threw ANYTHING finished away, including receivers.   I think this is the one exception that proves the general rule: "Savage--NEVER say never!"

Cleetus

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 02:34:33 PM »
The last 20 gauge I bought is configured the same as this .30-30. Also note the striker firing pin has a different notch than the one one the 16 gauge. Numrich sells the type on the 16 as good for both but they would be dangerous to use with the older trigger and sear combo.