Author Topic: Measuring rate of twist  (Read 3050 times)

Mike Britton

Measuring rate of twist
« on: January 30, 2018, 10:13:04 PM »
Hey guys!
I'm new to the party, and was reading comments about knowing rate of twist and not knowing how to find that out.
Here is how I was taught back in the Jurassic period.

Find a brush or mop that fits snug enough in the barrel that it will twist in the rifling without slipping.
 Somewhere convenient back on the cleaning rod, place a piece of tape that sticks out like an arm on the rod. insert the brush/rod into the bore far enough into the muzzle, yes the muzzle, that you know it is engaged. Mark a line at the muzzle on the cleaning rod. Push the rod into the bore     until the piece of tape you mounted back on the rod has made one full rotation. Mark the rod again. Pull out the rod and measure the distance from the first mark on the rod to the second mark on the rod.
 Not micrometer precise, but it will be very close. 

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Measuring rate of twist
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 10:42:53 PM »
Mike, thanks for this info.  You explained it so well, I can even understand it.  I think the rate of twist can be a factor with some bullets and powder charges.  From what I have read, the same bullet style will do better with one rate of twist than another.

Mike Britton

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 08:16:41 AM »
Garnett,
 I know from experience that rate of twist is important with .223 ammo.
  I have a sweet Howa target bolt rifle in .223 that has 1in12 twist. It's a lazer  with anything from 55 gr. down, not so much with the  heavier bullets.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 08:16:11 AM »
Welcome to this forum!  I hope you will share your opinions about these two single shot classics.

Dackgo

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 03:09:01 AM »
Very useful Per person who needs answers