Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

Lug profile in area around the extractor hook

(1/2) > >>

Sentry44:
Garnett,

I JUST acquired a .22 Hornet after looking for many moons.  It's in almost unbelievable condition, probably because the extractor is broken and somebody silly just set the barrel aside for a few decades.  I have been wanting a Utica barrel, and this is only the 2nd of that type that I have seen that appears to be factory D&T'd on top of the receiver.  Can you confirm that they did this?  I mean, it certainly looks factory, and even has perfectly fitted plug screws, the bluing on which is perfectly uniform with the barrel.  I already had Weaver #12 and 30, and they went on perfectly.

OK, now to the main point of this post.  The profile of the cutout in the lug which houses the extractor hook.  I guess it's something I never really paid attention to, but I notice now that this 22 Hornet (and also a 20ga I own) both have what I would call a "whale's back" profile, with a sharp corner on one side, and a more gently sloping edge on the other.  This is in contrast to the uniform "half moon" arch on my 30-30, 16 and 12 gauge barrels.  THEN, having sen this, I go to your 2nd edition book, and I see a 3rd type there, where the corners are bevelled, rather than curved.

Any thoughts on this?  The timing of each?  I should say that ALL of my barrels are Utica, and all are flanged except one.  Not that it matters, but my frame is a 1st version Utica.

Bonus Point:  I also notice that ALL of my barrels have kind of a "nose" shaped cutout at the base of the FRONT of the lug, where it meets the barrel...with the exception of one, which is the 30-30.  It has a uniform slot.  Thoughts on this?

Sentry44

Garnett:
Sentry, I am away from home and will return Monday.  I'll get back with you after i am settled down.  Best wishes, Garnett

Garnett:
"I JUST acquired a .22 Hornet after looking for many moons.  It's in almost unbelievable condition, probably because the extractor is broken and somebody silly just set the barrel aside for a few decades.  I have been wanting a Utica barrel, and this is only the 2nd of that type that I have seen that appears to be factory D&T'd on top of the receiver.  Can you confirm that they did this?  I mean, it certainly looks factory, and even has perfectly fitted plug screws, the bluing on which is perfectly uniform with the barrel.  I already had Weaver #12 and 30, and they went on perfectly."   Quote from above.

I have not seen any 219 barrel D&T on top,that I thought was factory work.  But....I have never given the idea any thought either.  All the early barrels I have seen have the writing on the left hand side of the barrel over the chamber, so the barrels are blank on top.  Because of this, I don't know how, without a factory letter, this could be determined as factory work.  As I understand it, you purchased a barrel only, not a complete gun, is that correct?  Please correct me if I am wrong. So without a serial number on the frame, you can't get a factory letter to verify.  (Also, for various reasons, having a serial number, does not guarantee the factory letter will verify anything. (I am sure their historians is doing the best they can, but since Mr. Callahan retired, the information does not compare to Win., Colt, & S&W)  I have 2 barrels in my collection, and have seen less than a dozen rifle barrels, D&T on the side of the barrel that I feel confident in saying they are original factory work, as the normal left hand writing is moved to the top of the barrel so no holes will be drilled thru this writing.  I hope this will help some.  Best wishes, Garnett

Garnett:
Quote from above:OK, now to the main point of this post.  The profile of the cutout in the lug which houses the extractor hook.  I guess it's something I never really paid attention to, but I notice now that this 22 Hornet (and also a 20ga I own) both have what I would call a "whale's back" profile, with a sharp corner on one side, and a more gently sloping edge on the other.  This is in contrast to the uniform "half moon" arch on my 30-30, 16 and 12 gauge barrels.  THEN, having sen this, I go to your 2nd edition book, and I see a 3rd type there, where the corners are bevelled, rather than curved.   What page of my book is this picture on?

Any thoughts on this?  The timing of each?  I should say that ALL of my barrels are Utica, and all are flanged except one.  Not that it matters, but my frame is a 1st version Utica.

Bonus Point:  I also notice that ALL of my barrels have kind of a "nose" shaped cutout at the base of the FRONT of the lug, where it meets the barrel...with the exception of one, which is the 30-30.  It has a uniform slot.  Thoughts on this?

I am sorry, but while I understand your two questions, I cannot picture the parts in my mind.  Will you send pictures of both of these things and I will try to help with an answer.  I appreciate hearing from everyone with questions and will help as best as I can.  Best wishes, Garnett

Sentry44:
I acquired just the barrel.  And yes, Savage isn't much use when it comes to factory letters.

You have pictures of ALL THREE milling profiles for the extractor hook area of the lug in your 2nd edition book.

1.  On page 91 are several views of the "whale's back" profile.
2.  On page 93 is an example of the "half moon" profile.
3.  On page 189 you can see the "angled" corner profile.

Now see below the other issue I asked about, the "nose" shaped cutout where the forward face of the lug meets the barrel.  The 22 Hornet, as well as 12, 16 and 20 gauge barrels I own all have this.

Contrast this with the following pic, which doesn't have that little area where the lug meets the barrel.  Only one of the barrels I own (30-30 WCF) has this.

ALL of my barrels are Utica era.

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version