Author Topic: 219 pictures by Mike Leong  (Read 2616 times)

MikeLeong

219 pictures by Mike Leong
« on: March 27, 2020, 06:42:37 PM »
Sorry it took a while to get some pictures up but this is the 219 in 30-30 I got last month.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 219 pictures by Mike Leong
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 08:25:00 PM »
Mike, Thanks for sharing with us!  You have what I call a  Second Model Utica rifle.  The cartridges and oily rag in the stock are a neat item.   Feature goes back to the European guns.  I have a M1905 Mannlicher that has a trap butt plate with two cartridges under it.  While all of these Savages are good, even through the "D" suffix models, the prewar guns show the best quality. 

MikeLeong

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 12:00:38 PM »
It is nice to know when this rifle was made, and that you are willing to share your knowledge of this firearm! I am going to have to go and check my friends Model 219 now, and see if it has Utica stamped on the barrel. He was the one that got me interested in this unique single shot.

I saw in one of the other posts that Numrich had a slug barrel for sale as an aftermarket for a while? I checked their site and they did not have anything current. Does that mean it is pretty had to ever get the other barrels for these guns?
Mike

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 12:42:44 PM »
Mike, the Slug barrels you mention are very hard to find.  I have one and have been in contact with 3 other people who have one.  One of them has the placement of the rear sight in a different position, but otherwise all are the same with no markings other than a "20" in a circle on some and just a plain "20" with no circle as on my barrel.  As to other barrels, they are plentiful on Ebay, but you need to be careful which ones you buy.  While they all appear to be the same, they are not.  The early model barrels, First Model Utica, Second Model Utica, and the "A" suffix barrels may fit the late guns, but will not work on the "B", "C", & "D" suffix models as they do not have the cocking stud on the rear of the barrel lug.  However, all these B,  C, and D barrels will work on the early guns.  Also, you have the risk that the newly purchased barrel may not fit properly and will require a gunsmith/machinist to fit it to your action.  I removed a .22 Hornet barrel from a outside hammer gun and it fit perfectly on a M220, 20 gauge gun that I had.  However, with two other barrels I purchased,  I had to try them on several of my guns before I found an action they would perfectly fit.  On some they would not close at all and on others they would close, but had a gap between the end of the chamber and the frame.  I hope this information helps some and is not too confusing.  I'll be glad to help in any way I can.  If you will send pictures of your friend's gun, I will try to identify it for you.  Best wishes, Garnett       (click on pictures to enlarge)

MikeLeong

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 03:17:52 PM »
So, my gun would work with B, C or D barrels assuming they fit and there are no gaps etc.?

I will check for barrels on Ebay, just not sure if they can be imported to Canada without being seen as a 'gun' with all the restrictions those have crossing borders. I may try posting a notice on Gun Nutz up here as well as that is where I finally found my rifle. Whatever is rare down there is usually ultra rare here as we have one tenth the population, and I know the rifle companies tended to see Canada as an afterthought when marketing guns.
I am not sure what my friends position is on social distancing with COVID 19 these days, but I will send some pictures of his gun as soon as I visit him!

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 04:21:51 PM »
Yes, any of the late barrels will work on your gun and you could just remove the cocking stud in the locking lug on the barrel.   Also if you want another rifle barrel, the B and later ones have grooves on top of the chamber for using claw style mounts for a scope so you don't have to drill and tap.   I will look forward to the pictures.  Stay safe!

MikeLeong

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
My friend was open to having visitors so I went and took pictures of his gun. I am guessing it is one of those early models as there is no letter stamped on the flat area on the underside of the barrel?

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 07:28:18 PM »
The "N" & "B" are assembly letters.  Sometimes a combination of letters and numbers are used.  The same or very similar letters should be on the top left of the inside of the frame and stamped in the wood under the butt plate.  They are not always the exact same, but once familiar with the system you can be fairly certain if a gun has been re-barreled or restocked.  If the gun under the barrel goes with the barrel then it is a Second Model Utica. 

MikeLeong

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 09:36:36 PM »
Yes, that is the gun, under the barrel, and the numbers are same everywhere. This fellow got it from his uncle before the man passed away, and he is pretty sure his uncle had it before the war which fits with dates you have in mind.

I look forward to going to the range once the snow melts here and trying the 219 out. I have a Leopold VX111 on another gun I no longer use that I can mount on my 219, and I will see what my reloads for my Marlin in the same caliber will do in this one. Our daughter wants to go deer hunting this fall with me and I think this will be a reasonable fit for her.

Again thanks for sharing your knowledge,

Mike

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 10:02:07 PM »
Enjoy the snow!  It was 82 here yesterday!  I was glad to help with any information I could give.  ,Please let us know how it shoots.   Best Wishes.