Author Topic: new to Savage single shots  (Read 2159 times)

MikeLeong

new to Savage single shots
« on: March 03, 2020, 01:34:01 PM »
My name is Mike Leong-Machielse, and my wife and I love to go hunting in northern Saskatchewan where we have an acreage on the edge of the boreal forest. A farmer friend recently moved up to our area, and one day he showed me a single shot he found laying around in a garage somewhere. It was a Savage 219 in 3030, and I had never heard of them or seen one before. He knew there was 410 ammo in the garage where he found the rifle, but he never did find the 410 barrel that may have also come with the gun. Being a farmer he just hauled the gun around in his truck, to take care of coyotes etc., and he assured me it was very accurate to a hundred yards or more just with the iron sights and his so-so eyesight.

I was hooked.

I looked on GunNutz for over a year before finally finding one in decent shape that was also a 3030. Mine was drilled for a scope, which is a bonus as I am short sighted and iron sights are not a thing I can use anymore, not that I was ever a good shot with them in the first place. I cannot wait for spring to arrive so I can play with this thing at our local range and see what it really does.

Now my goal is to collect as many different barrels as I can for this unique rifle!

Mike

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: new to Savage single shots
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 04:14:34 PM »
Mike, Welcome to this forum!  Standard rifle barrels were in .30-30, .32-20, 25-20, and .22 Hornet.  The .25-20 is hard to find and the .32-20 is very rare. Shot barrels were available in 12, 16, 20, 28, and .410.  Late barrels will work on all models, but early barrels that are made before the "B" suffix models, may fit later actions but will not cock the hammer.  Please be cautious in your search.  If you have time please share some pictures of your gun. Thanks for sharing with us. Best wishes, Garnett

MikeLeong

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 05:38:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing the information on what barrels work with which models as that was something a novice like myself would never have realized.

I suspect barrels hardly ever come up for sale (in Canada with our smaller numbers in particular) but sometimes you do stumble across things in the strangest of places.

I will post some pictures once I get back home, as I am curious to know a bit more about the possible age and history my 219....

Mike

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:02:57 PM »
I will be glad to help identify it.  Thanks for sharing with us.