Author Topic: Well I made it finally  (Read 2838 times)

Haywire1

Well I made it finally
« on: March 04, 2020, 08:11:26 AM »
Well it took some doing by Garnett but I’m finally approved and here. Long story, wound up getting sent on an emergency call and missed the reply email. Anyways not entirely new to the 219’s,  but definitely not the most knowledgeable. I have a 219 in 30-30 that my great grandfather purchased new in 1939 and because of a disability he was ineligible to join the military in ww2, so he used it to poach deer, moose etc during the war and made sure the families in his community had meat while their men were off fighting. Sometime between then and 1947 when my grandfather got it great gramps had shortened the barrel to 22”, ported it, drilled and tapped for a scope base(bit of an amateur machinist, and pretty progressive thinker), put on a weaver 2.5x scope, and changed the buttstock for a savage 24 stock. Its currently at a good froends who builds precision rifles getting gone through for a restoration to that post 47 state. Best of all i pick it up this afternoon! Super excited to be here and i look forward to learning a lot!

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Well I made it finally
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 09:06:19 AM »
Welcome to this forum! Thanks for your input!  Please share pictures with us! 

Haywire1

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »
Was at my friends today, the barrel is finished, he wasnt happy with how the action turned out so he is redoing it, the original barrel was destroyed years ago, I finally managed to find a utica 30-30 barrel for it, based on old grainy pictures he copied exactly what my great grandfather did with the original. Here it is mocked up with the original fore end. And also a picture of a stock i made for it. I have to do the final fit and finish of course once the action is here, this is just based on a cracked model 24 stock i had here

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 09:02:38 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures!  I remember the first ported barrel I had ever seen.  It was a new BSA sporter.  I forget the caliber.  I had never heard of "porting" a barrel.  This was back in the early 60's.  Did your receiver turn red when he blued it?

Haywire1

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 10:46:53 PM »
A particularly nasty shade of purple he said. He thinks he can compensate for it, hence the delay while he tries a few things. I had told him it was originally case hardened but he forgot rofl

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 09:00:18 AM »
The original color case hardened frames do not reblue well and neither do the earlier blue frames.    A gunsmith friend of mine said the early prewar frames were rust blued and because of the high nickel content do not reblue well with the normal mostly used "hot" blue method. 

Haywire1

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 08:57:52 PM »
Excuse the crappy lighting, its a very dark blue not black, but the reciever came home today. Now for stock work and the incredibly fun job of reassembly

Haywire1

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
Just mocked up, obviously theres a ways to go yet

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 11:34:24 PM »
It all looks good.  Did you make the stock from scratch or buy a semi-inletted one? Please keep us informed. Good luck on reassembly.