Author Topic: Repairing a barrel pivot lug  (Read 4524 times)

GunLawyr

Repairing a barrel pivot lug
« on: August 08, 2018, 02:10:41 PM »
I just bought a 219 barrel in .30-30 to fit to my 220A action. The toe of the barrel pivot lug is cracked above the hole for the pin that captures the front of the ejector lever (see picture.) I was able to lightly hammer the bent part of the toe back up, but I need to try to seal that crack to prevent a recurrence. Any suggestions on how to repair this before I start fitting the barrel? I'm wondering if brazing would be a good option, then re-drill the hole for the ejector lever pin.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Repairing a barrel pivot lug
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:11:10 PM »
I have never seen this type damage before.  I will print the picture and show it to my gun smith to see if he has any suggestions.  I should see him tomorrow.

GunLawyr

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 08:01:06 PM »
Thanks, Garnett. This is how I got it, so no idea how it got that way. Really hope I can fix it, because it looks great on my receiver. I'm going to adapt a Savage Model 99 Schnabel forearm to it, and I've got a .30-30 / .32 H&R Magnum chamber adapter that I'm anxious to try out.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:04:06 PM by GunLawyr »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »
Guess what I am working on right now.....I have a 2nd Model Utica 220 action with a M219 flanged barrel in .22 Hornet.  I am reworking an original stock and......
I purchased a semi-inletted 99 Savage  Schnabel forearm for it.  I got the action off Gun Broker and the barrel, forearm, and stock off Ebay.  Looks like two great minds running together! :)  Please share pictures when your project is completed and I will do the same.

GunLawyr

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:48:56 PM »
Will do. I think those long slender rifle barrels are perfect for Schnabel forearms - especially from a Savage 99 - which keeps it "all in the family."

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:26:59 AM »
I talked with my gun smith friend this morning and showed him the picture.  He says the only way for a permanent repair is to weld the damaged section and re-cut the slot and hole.  He recommends only using a Heliarc welder, because brazing or regular welding does not give control of the heat as the Heliarc does.  For the readers who may not be aware, there is no cause for concern that the lug itself might be loosened from the barrel, as the lug was forged as part of the barrel when made.  I hope this will be of some help.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:30:19 AM by Garnett »

GunLawyr

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 01:04:20 PM »
Great info - thank you. That's a skill outside my toolbox, so I'll see if I can get a local recommendation. Will let you know how it goes and hopefully post pics of the completed project.

Dackgo

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 03:12:32 AM »
I really like your forum.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 02:11:59 PM »
Thank you!

CDSUSMC

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 03:50:10 PM »
Garnett, think we were looking at the same 22 Hornet on eBay. Was it the one with multiple holes from Michigan? More important are you happy with it? I was debating purchasing it right as someone bought it. Next time one pops up I won't hold back.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 04:42:53 PM »
I am a little "slow" sometimes. .  I am not exactly sure what you are referring to.  Remember, I'm old....81....can you be more specific?   :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:23:02 PM by Garnett »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 08:29:16 PM »
A couple of months ago I purchased a First Model Utica in 220 gauge that had the same damage including the forearm wood completely broken in two pieces in front of the metal base and screw hole.  I commented to a  friend that I could not understand how someone could do this kind of damage accidentally.  He suggested that perhaps the owner was on horseback with the gun in a saddle holster and the horse fell on it.