Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

219 pictures by Mike Leong

(1/2) > >>

MikeLeong:
Sorry it took a while to get some pictures up but this is the 219 in 30-30 I got last month.

Garnett:
Mike, Thanks for sharing with us!  You have what I call a  Second Model Utica rifle.  The cartridges and oily rag in the stock are a neat item.   Feature goes back to the European guns.  I have a M1905 Mannlicher that has a trap butt plate with two cartridges under it.  While all of these Savages are good, even through the "D" suffix models, the prewar guns show the best quality. 

MikeLeong:
It is nice to know when this rifle was made, and that you are willing to share your knowledge of this firearm! I am going to have to go and check my friends Model 219 now, and see if it has Utica stamped on the barrel. He was the one that got me interested in this unique single shot.

I saw in one of the other posts that Numrich had a slug barrel for sale as an aftermarket for a while? I checked their site and they did not have anything current. Does that mean it is pretty had to ever get the other barrels for these guns?
Mike

Garnett:
Mike, the Slug barrels you mention are very hard to find.  I have one and have been in contact with 3 other people who have one.  One of them has the placement of the rear sight in a different position, but otherwise all are the same with no markings other than a "20" in a circle on some and just a plain "20" with no circle as on my barrel.  As to other barrels, they are plentiful on Ebay, but you need to be careful which ones you buy.  While they all appear to be the same, they are not.  The early model barrels, First Model Utica, Second Model Utica, and the "A" suffix barrels may fit the late guns, but will not work on the "B", "C", & "D" suffix models as they do not have the cocking stud on the rear of the barrel lug.  However, all these B,  C, and D barrels will work on the early guns.  Also, you have the risk that the newly purchased barrel may not fit properly and will require a gunsmith/machinist to fit it to your action.  I removed a .22 Hornet barrel from a outside hammer gun and it fit perfectly on a M220, 20 gauge gun that I had.  However, with two other barrels I purchased,  I had to try them on several of my guns before I found an action they would perfectly fit.  On some they would not close at all and on others they would close, but had a gap between the end of the chamber and the frame.  I hope this information helps some and is not too confusing.  I'll be glad to help in any way I can.  If you will send pictures of your friend's gun, I will try to identify it for you.  Best wishes, Garnett       (click on pictures to enlarge)

MikeLeong:
So, my gun would work with B, C or D barrels assuming they fit and there are no gaps etc.?

I will check for barrels on Ebay, just not sure if they can be imported to Canada without being seen as a 'gun' with all the restrictions those have crossing borders. I may try posting a notice on Gun Nutz up here as well as that is where I finally found my rifle. Whatever is rare down there is usually ultra rare here as we have one tenth the population, and I know the rifle companies tended to see Canada as an afterthought when marketing guns.
I am not sure what my friends position is on social distancing with COVID 19 these days, but I will send some pictures of his gun as soon as I visit him!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version