Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

219 pictures by Mike Leong

<< < (2/2)

Garnett:
Yes, any of the late barrels will work on your gun and you could just remove the cocking stud in the locking lug on the barrel.   Also if you want another rifle barrel, the B and later ones have grooves on top of the chamber for using claw style mounts for a scope so you don't have to drill and tap.   I will look forward to the pictures.  Stay safe!

MikeLeong:
My friend was open to having visitors so I went and took pictures of his gun. I am guessing it is one of those early models as there is no letter stamped on the flat area on the underside of the barrel?

Garnett:
The "N" & "B" are assembly letters.  Sometimes a combination of letters and numbers are used.  The same or very similar letters should be on the top left of the inside of the frame and stamped in the wood under the butt plate.  They are not always the exact same, but once familiar with the system you can be fairly certain if a gun has been re-barreled or restocked.  If the gun under the barrel goes with the barrel then it is a Second Model Utica. 

MikeLeong:
Yes, that is the gun, under the barrel, and the numbers are same everywhere. This fellow got it from his uncle before the man passed away, and he is pretty sure his uncle had it before the war which fits with dates you have in mind.

I look forward to going to the range once the snow melts here and trying the 219 out. I have a Leopold VX111 on another gun I no longer use that I can mount on my 219, and I will see what my reloads for my Marlin in the same caliber will do in this one. Our daughter wants to go deer hunting this fall with me and I think this will be a reasonable fit for her.

Again thanks for sharing your knowledge,

Mike

Garnett:
Enjoy the snow!  It was 82 here yesterday!  I was glad to help with any information I could give.  ,Please let us know how it shoots.   Best Wishes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version