Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 220 Single Shot Hammerless Shotguns

28 gauge first production

<< < (2/4) > >>

Garnett:
Chris, My source is the listing in the 1954 catalog.  On page 5, there is a black and white ad on page 5, listing "NOW in 28 Gauge".  It lists the 28 gauge along with the 12, 16, 20, and .410. 
A special color insert in this same catalog says in big red letters "for '54"  "New 28 Gauge".  The same color ad says made in Chicopee Falls, Mass.  all in red.  It is available in only 28". I am away from home and cannot email you a copy of this ad.  However, If you have a barrel marked Utica in 28 gauge, I would not doubt the authentic of it.  I have in my collection and have seen several items not listed in the catalogs, and some items listed in the catalogs I have been unable to find.  An example are the "Trap" guns.  None are listed in any catalog that I have found.  I have all from 1937 to about 1980.  However, I have 4 Trap models in 12, 16, 16, and 20 gauge.  I have been outbid on two, in .410 and.....28 gauge.  As best I can determine, all these "Trap" models were made pre-war.  All mine are Utica marked.  So, it stands to reason to me that if the factory was making a Trap model in 28 gauge, they would sell a customer a regular 220 in that gauge if requested.  Of course, it could be a 28 gauge barrel taken from a Trap model for what ever reason, and put on a standard 220.  I would think a Utica 28 gauge barrel/gun would be very rare.  If you can find a picture of this barrel I hope you will share it with our readers on this forum.  In talking many years (I am 82 now) with other collectors, most agree that just because it is not listed in a catalog doesn't mean it is a fake, and some items listed in catalogs cause you to waste time looking for them, as they were never made.  I hope this helps some.  Best wishes.

Mike Armstrong:
"Savage--Never Say Never!"  Motto of Savage collectors.  Many uncatalogued guns out there, from all eras.

Garnett:
I know I am getting old!  When Chris asked his question and I began to answer, it dawned on me that I put in my original book that the 28 gauge was first offered in 1954 and then I realized later that I had bid on a Utica Trap gun in 28 gauge.  DUH!!!!   I never put the 2+2 together!  I will correct/add this info to the next printing of my book.  We are never to old to learn!

Sentry44:
Garnett,

Thank yoy for your thoughts.  Mike as well.  I think your assertion about it being lefit but rare ia likely true.  The only pic I see is just N auction showing a Utica mark, and claiminfnits a 28.  But the barrel isnt marked for gauge, just 220.  So who knows.

Otherwise, comments on another forum asserring the same, but offering no pic.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a unicorn!

Chris

Garnett:
The  only barrels I have seen (3) that were not marked as to caliber or gauge, are the 20 gauge slug 20" barrels that were at one time offered by Numrich.  Someone told me that they are again listed at Numrich.  I have not looked myself.  All other barrels I have seen or examined have the gauge marking on them.  Another reason for so many nice guns being offered could be that the owners need some extra cash.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version