Author Topic: 220 Slug Barrel on EBay  (Read 3274 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
220 Slug Barrel on EBay
« on: September 30, 2019, 01:26:55 PM »
372786374300 Ebay number.   This is a rare barrel.  Numrich sold them at $125 plus shipping.  Since they were sold out when I discovered them, I checked the internet daily until finally I found mine on Ebay.  I think I paid $150 plus shipping.  I have an article on this barrel in my book.  While I do not believe that Savage Arms made it, it is an excellent quality barrel, and could have been made by Savage.  It is unmarked other than a "20" in a circle.  This "20" could denote the gauge or.... I have some Savage Model 219/220's in my collection with this same mark.  Who knows?  It did fit the first action I tried it on.  It locks up tight and looks good.  I have not shot it.  This is only the 2nd one of these barrels I have seen.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 220 Slug Barrel on EBay
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 07:09:02 PM »
It sold after the 2nd listing at the minimum bid of $150.  The same seller now has a second 20 gauge, 20 inch barrel for sale with an opening bid of $100.  This new listing has only the "20" , but not in a circle as these other slug barrels had, no other proofs.  However, it is different in that it has a "bead" front sight and no slot in the rear for a rifle style sight.  I would really like to know the origin of this second barrel.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:13:24 PM by Garnett »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 04:49:26 PM »
This latest barrel sold early today.  As well as I can remember, I have only seen two other of the slug barrels with rifle sights in addition to the one in my collection.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:41:19 AM »
I suspect--but do NOT know--that these barrels were made from leftover/spare parts by Numrich Arms Company (Now "Gun Parts Co.")  in West Hurley,  NY and probably sold through their retail store there to New York deer hunters who already had a 220 or 219.  I saw many variations of adapted parts to new uses like this there and wish I had taken notes!  I do not specifically remember these, however.

I would have paid better attention to this stuff back in the 1990s if I'd known Garnett was going to be writing his books!  But being in the Numrich treasure house was somewhat dazzling to somebody who had been reading about it for 50 years and suddenly had the opportunity to visit it every few months!

Have a great 2020 everybody!

Mike Armstrong

Auto-5

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 08:30:32 PM »
Evidently Numrich has the slug barrels back in stock. Or at least one, because I just bought one.
I have not received it yet but got an email Friday, order shipped!

Strangely, I was bidding on on the other barrel mentioned in this tread. The short 20ga with the bead only was on gunbroker and sold for $87. You can see it by searching Savage 220 barrel in completed auctions.

I was more interested in the barrel with rifle sights and let the other go without bumping my bid.

I’ll have the barrel threaded for rifled choke tube and turkey choke and maybe a scope later.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 09:13:58 PM »
Thanks for your input on this barrel.  I tried to buy from Numrich sometime ago and they were "out of stock".  I later found one on Ebay at a higher price.  After I purchased mine, someone else contacted me about one he had purchased.  The were identical except for the placement of the rear sight.  All of these barrels that I have seen had no provision for cocking the hammer on the B, C, & D, Suffix actions.   How did you find your barrel at Numrich?  I just tried to find a listing and could not find a 20" slug barrel for the 220 action listed.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:17:46 PM by Garnett »

Auto-5

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 01:43:13 AM »
I simply looked at the available parts for 219/220. Here is how.

On the Numrich website went to list on manufacturers.

Clicked on Savage Stevens Fox took me to parts page with schematic and list.

Arranged list to put available parts at the top. It’s on page 4 and still available.

Product # 811890A   $116.25

I was scrolling through just to familiarize myself with what’s available and low and behold there it was!
I post a photo when it it arrives.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 08:09:03 AM »
I'll try again!  Glad you got the problem with posting cleared up.

Auto-5

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 07:58:24 AM »
Here is the barrel. A few light scratches but obviously new, with a matte dark blue finish.

One screw holds the front sight and it is too long and needs to be shortened before it is shot

The top edge of the rear sight appears very slightly cocked out of level. Not sure if it’s the sight
or the machining of the notch in the barrel.  Or just my old eyes.

Overall I’m pleased.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 12:52:16 PM »
Here is a picture of my barrel.  The dove tail for the rear sight is 2.5 inches from the rear of the barrel.  Because of the "Rainbow" trajectory of a slug, I have installed a Winchester "Ladder" type rear sight on my barrel.  The "20" is the only mark on the barrel.  This is also only one screw in the front ramp.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:39:01 PM by Garnett »

Auto-5

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 07:06:16 AM »
Looks like the same barrel. The stamped 20 on mine is identical to that on yours.
The center of my dovetail is 2 3/8 from the rear end.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 03:12:13 PM »
As of last week, Numrich has the barrels listed again for sale and in stock.