Author Topic: "+" Symbol  (Read 2779 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
"+" Symbol
« on: November 25, 2020, 11:56:25 AM »
If your gun has this "+" symbol on it, would you please contact me?  Please advise if it is on a 219 or 220, or possibly a "Utility" set along with were the gun was made and the exact model number with Suffix.  Many thanks. Garnett

Sentry44

Re: "+" Symbol
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 01:04:44 PM »
Has a "+" symbol...where?

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 04:09:19 PM »
This "+" mark has been found on the left upper side of the receiver on some "Second Model" Utica guns.  It is near where the barrel breech fits to the frame.  I am away from home and cannot post a picture.  It is on page 78 of my newest book.  A reader contacted me after finding this mark on a newly purchased toy of his.  He is interested as to what it may mean.  As I mentioned earlier, I am away from home, but I think I only have one gun with this mark. 

Years ago when Mr. Callahan, a retired Savage employee, was providing historical information on these guns, I asked him if he would decode all the various symbols found on them, but he declined to do so.  We may never know.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »
I was reviewing my book a few minutes ago, and found a "+" symbol on a pre-war Second Model Utica.  The bottom of the frame is etched with a game scene, and the left side of the frame is marked "U.S." with the Ordnance Bomb.  A reader had earlier contacted about this mark.

Cleetus

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 04:08:23 PM »
Garnett, my Utica gun with stamped duck scene on the bottom has the + symbol on the right hand side as you describe. No US ordinance mark though.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 04:44:12 PM »
Thanks for this info!