Author Topic: 220 Action with different Engraving...Help Needed  (Read 6378 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
220 Action with different Engraving...Help Needed
« on: September 24, 2016, 09:04:29 AM »
This week I purchased what I believe to be a Model 220 action and stock.  The action is a "2nd Model Utica".  The assembly numbers on the action and stock match.  While the barrel & butt plate is missing I believe it to have been a M220 shotgun because the one screw remaining in the butt is of the small round head type usually found on recoil pads...and there is some red rubber type residue in the screw head slot.  The stock is standard for this early model but is checkered.  The only other checkered stocks I have found have been on the "Trap Gun" models that are completely different.  I believe the checkering to be factory original.  The action has engraving on both sides.  However, it is NOT the usual engraving of a game scene.  I looked in my old catalogs and found this same style engraving on the Fox Model B double barrel shotgun listed in a 1961 issue.  Does anyone else have one of these?  If so, please share with me the markings on your barrel.  Pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 220 Action with different Engraving...Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »
Since the first post about this style engraving, I have found identical engraving on a Model 1899 Savage lever action rifle, recently offered for sale on Gunbroker.  I have purchased an "Old English" style black recoil pad to replace what I believe is the missing Savage pad.  In the recent past, I purchased one of the 20 inch, "after market" 20 gauge slug barrels, that was offered by Numrich Arms.  I am going to have my gunsmith see if this new barrel can be fitted to this early action.  The barrel is an early style with NO cocking pin on the side of the barrel lug.  If it works out, I will provide pictures.  For my "Purists" friends, be aware that I am NOT altering an original gun, merely replacing a missing barrel, forearm, and recoil pad on a surviving action and stock.  I would never alter an unaltered original gun. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:43:07 AM by Garnett »

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 220 Action with different Engraving...Now Rebuilt
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »
I had mentioned earlier that I planned to "Restore" this engraved action & stock.  I had an extra early style forearm with wood that closely matches the wood in the stock.  I refinished both the forearm and stock and filled a hole in the stock where someone had installed a swivel off center.  I had my gunsmith install an "Old English" style black recoil pad (to replace the missing pad) along with the 20 gauge slug barrel, and the forearm.  He also trimmed the excess metal off the trigger and installed the early steel trigger guard.  The only thing missing now (on order from Dixie Gun Works) is a Winchester 1873 ladder style rear sight.  The barrel is equipped with the late cheap stamped rear sight.  Now if I just had someone to checker the forearm to match the stock.  I think it turned out well.  I would still like to hear from anyone with a similarly engraved Model 220 Savage action.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:38:21 AM by Garnett »

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:29:12 PM »
That's make a neat little house/truck/boat gun, Garnett!  Very handsome and handy.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:41:58 PM »
Thanks for the compliment.  I got a shipping confirmation from Dixie Gun Works late this afternoon.  The Winchester style sight is in the mail!

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
Here is a picture with the new Winchester style, ladder rear sight. 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 07:22:14 PM by Garnett »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 06:45:11 PM »

Click on picture to enlarge.  For some reason, photos disappear after a certain length of time.  I have re-posted this picture.  This is one of my favorite 220's.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 06:46:52 PM by Garnett »