Author Topic: Slam Fire  (Read 1881 times)

AXL

Slam Fire
« on: May 31, 2021, 06:11:33 PM »
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and this is my first post.  Glad to find you guys and maybe you can help.

I bought a 220A the other day for my girlfriend.  I really liked the fact it did not have a hammer, as well as other features like an ejector and thumb safety.  We went to shoot sporting clays yesterday and she was having trouble closing the breech at one point.  She handed me the gun and I closed it and it fired, which is pretty scary.  I am not exactly sure what caused this to happen and really hope it is a problem that can be fixed rather than an issue to be aware of in the future.  I think she did not fully press the lever to the right to re-cock the firing pin, and it remained protruding so that when I closed the breech it punched the primer.  I honestly do not know.  I do know a few times the gun did not fire and I am pretty sure this was the result of her not fully pushing the lever to the right until you hear a click.  I noticed that if you press it all  the way to the right after a shot it should click and this will reset the pin. 

Anyway, this is a theory I cannot test at home without dry firing as I don't have an empties to use.  I hope one of you can help me or point me in the right direction as it is a handy little gun.

Thank you in advance!

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Slam Fire
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 06:33:21 PM »
AXL, I can share this with you.  A friend in Canada was cleaning his shotgun and had removed the barrel.  While he was cleaning the bore, he heard a "click".  He picked up the action and noticed the striker was in the fired position.  He re-cocked the striker, laid down the action, and in a few minutes heard another "click".  As well as I remember, he said the point where the sear engaged the striker was worn.  He "dressed up" both surfaces and this corrected the problem.  Please keep us informed as to the outcome of your problem.  Welcome to this forum!

Cleetus

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 11:09:31 PM »
The 220a mechanism should be less prone to accidental discharge due to trigger sear angle issues but not immune. That one of the changes they made to the 220a compared to the Utica models. One thing that will help with the issue of closing on a protruding firing pin is this. When closing any top lever break action gun do not slam it shut. The action with last much longer for one thing. Even 100,000 dollar English doubles should be gently but firmly closed while holding the top leaver to the right and then release the lever when closed and if needed gently push it left with your thumb until it stops. You may like the cool slap sound when flipping it closed like John Wayne with a stage coach gun but it is hard on the action and dangerous with any gun. The Savage 220s should engage the safety when the top lever is pushed to the right which blocks the trigger but not the seat. Check to see if the safety engages fully when the lever is pushed all the way. It may need a fix. Again never slam a break action gun shut.

Cleetus

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 11:11:56 PM »
Should read blocks the trigger but not the sear.