Author Topic: 30-30 carbine?  (Read 1764 times)

shoptom

30-30 carbine?
« on: April 17, 2022, 08:12:30 PM »
Hey-
Came up with a 20" barrel. Front sight correct and crown looks factory. Haven't measured muzzle diameter yet. Could this be a factory- made barrel or did they make them 26" only?
I sure like this forum!
Thanks-
Tom

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 30-30 carbine?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 08:40:27 PM »
I mention in my book that several years ago I talked with a man who said that a Model 219-C (for carbine) was made with a 20 inch barrel by the factory.  He says the barrels are actually stamped 219-C.  I have found no evidence of the existence of such a barrel.  Where was the barrel made?  I would think if such a barrel exists, it would have been pre-war from Utica.  My 26 inch barreled 219 in .30-30 & .25-20 have a muzzle diameter of .59 and my .22 Hornet barrel measures .60.  Do you have another barrel that you can measure the diameter at the 20 inch mark?  Also, if your 20" barrel muzzle diameter is considerably larger than the above two numbers, I personally think that is a good indication it has been cut and re-crowned.  The former Savage Historian, Mr. Callahan, had all the R&D Savage records.  He advised me that there was no record of a carbine model, and any barrels less than 26" were modified after leaving the factory.  However, he also advised me that the factory did not make a "Trap" model.  I have 3 of them, in 12, 16, and 20 gauge.  I bid and lost on two others in 28 and .410.  I recently have talked with another gentleman who has a Trap gun in 16 gauge.  So, it is possible.  Something else to consider, Numrich Arms has sold for several years, a 20", 20 gauge slug barrel with rifle sights.  They say it is a Savage made barrel.  I have one, and the others I have seen are only marked with a "20", in a circle.  No other markings.  This is an inspectors mark, according to Mr. Callahan.  Could you share with us a picture of all the barrel markings, and the muzzle diameter? 

shoptom

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 09:00:13 PM »
I'll try to get after it tomorrow. Might be able to get my first wife to do some pics. Sure makes a handy truck/tractor rig!
Tom

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 11:47:18 PM »
I look forward to seeing them.

shoptom

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 09:57:48 AM »
Hey Garnett-
Sent pics to your email just now. Not brave enough to ask her to figure out how to post...
Barrel is 20 1/8" and .622" at muzzle. Full diameter about 1.5" for about 4" long at chamber end. Looks like after-market or newer rear sight. Front sight looks right. Marked on left side-"proof tested cal 30-30". Only other marks is a proof mark ahead of the lug- maybe SP in an oval. Grooved for 22 rings. Looks like a newer barrel.
Three other 30-30 barrels- all Utica- measure like .642" at 20".
Right now I have the carbine barrel on a 94B frame marked "Eastern Arms- Sears and Roebuck". Tenite stock and forend. As a collector it's worthless, but it sure makes a neat little shooter.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 12:04:46 PM »
Tom, I have not gotten the pictures.  Did you send them to    garnettstancil@hotmail.com     ?   That is my email address.  I look forward to seeing them. 

shoptom

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 10:01:38 PM »
emailed  again- says they're going through. Would they be in your spam?

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 10:56:58 PM »
I just checked and I do not have anything from you.  Are you emailing thru this forum site?  If you are, that may be the problem.  The forum director has informed me that there is something preventing some email between members and they have tried to fix and cannot do so.  Please try emailing me from your email account and let's see if that will work.         garnettstancil@hotmail.com           All lower case letters.

shoptom

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 07:30:01 AM »
No problem- I was just curious. I'm more interested in how it shoots, hopefully find out today. I wonder if a light weight red dot site will stay anchored in them little slots. Maybe find that out today also.
Thanks for your trouble,
Tom
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 07:34:43 AM by shoptom »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 09:51:24 AM »
Tom, Some people have complained that scopes will shift position on the grooves, but no one has actually said the mounts come off.  One person said he put
 "Lok-tite" under the bases to stop this.  There is a one piece rail mount available that will fit these 219's.  It is for a BB gun, but according to one forum member, it works well on his 219.  I purchased one to list in my book, and it is well made, and has a set screw that keeps it from moving.  It is called: Leepers Accushot.
Model RGPM2PA-25M4.  You can google it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 02:13:53 PM by Garnett »