Author Topic: Savage Model 101 pistol - DUMMY  (Read 1533 times)

Southern WI Savage

Savage Model 101 pistol - DUMMY
« on: May 25, 2022, 02:38:23 PM »
I procured one of these Savage 101 DUMMY pistols as they are known.
This one however is barrel stamped as a .22 magnum rim fire and the barrel is 6 1/2" in length vs. 5 1/2" as the .22 LR version pistols.
Of the handful of these DUMMY pistols that I am aware of this is the only one I've heard of in .22 magnum.
I spoke with Bailey Brower who has several 101 DUMMY pistols and he had never seen or heard of the .22 magnum DUMMY.
It is my belief that these DUMMY pistols came out of the Savage R&D shop of Savage for reasons only Savage would know.
Attached are pics of this pistol in comparison to a standard size Model 101.
The comparison pistol happens to be the only engraved Model 101 that I am aware of also. It is not factory engraved.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Savage Model 101 pistol - DUMMY
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 04:20:31 PM »
This is very interesting!  Thanks for sharing your pistols with us.  How long have you had the engraved model?  A Master Engraver, friend of mine, recently sold on Gun Broker, a beautifully engraved 101.  Just wondering if this is the same pistol.  Will you please email me as I would like to further discuss the .22 Mag dummy.  My address is:     garnettstancil@hotmail.com.     You may have noticed that I have written a book on the Savage 101.  Best wishes, Garnett

Southern WI Savage

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 07:46:00 PM »
Here are a few more pics.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 12:34:45 PM »
Many thanks for these additional pictures!  A truly rare pistol!