Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 220 Single Shot Hammerless Shotguns

Looking for answers concerning the age of my Model 220 12 gauge.

<< < (2/2)

Garnett:
Try touching a magnet to your safety button.  It has all the shapes of the early steel ones.  I have compared your picture to the steel and alloy safeties in my parts and I believe yours to be an early steel one.  Glass bedding, is taking a very small amount of fiber glass and putting a very thin coat on the raw unfinished wood on the inside of the stock.  Once dry, it is very hard and resists cracking.  It is best done when a new stock is fitted and you must be very careful putting  release agent on the metal so the glass will not stick to it.  This is an over simple explanation.  Try googling "Glass bedding a gun stock".  I am glad to help in any way I can.  Best wishes, Garnett

SDAL:
I did as you suggested and checked the safety button with a magnet. It is defiantly made of alloy.
The videos of glass bedding are interesting.

Garnett:
I will have another look at my safety buttons. 

Garnett:
Well, surprise, surprise!  I have in my parts bin, 7 early "steel" style safeties.  I would have bet anyone, they are all steel.  However, one of them, that is slightly different from all the rest, failed the magnet test.  It is not steel, but an alloy.  Note, the hole does not go all the way through, but it is drilled from both sides.  My guess is that the change to alloy from steel in this early style safety, must have been right before the safety style was changed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version