Author Topic: NEED GUNSMITH!!!  (Read 1421 times)

65Jeffrey

NEED GUNSMITH!!!
« on: May 06, 2023, 08:15:43 AM »
Hello all i need help!
  Have a 219 in 30-30 thats externally in very good condition but.....
  Always had the occasional misfire so some time ago i took it to the local gun hack....he bought a new firing pin mainspring set presumeably from Numrich.
  Fast forward a few months!!
  Went and retrieved my rifle its assembled but only opens with tremendous effort and lots of wiggling and jiggling and opening it does NOT cock/reset firing pin.
  Guessing the incorrect mainspring setup was installed.
   Loved this old rifle NEED a REAL gunsmith familiar with this gun to help me out!
Thanks in advance

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: NEED GUNSMITH!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 08:38:09 AM »
Welcome to this forum!  Please post a picture of the action and the barrel markings so I can identify exactly what action you have. 

65Jeffrey

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 05:06:54 PM »

65Jeffrey

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 05:10:48 PM »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 07:26:34 PM »
You have what I call a First Model Utica rifle.  It is a very early, maybe even a prewar action. Production started in 1938.  This action cocks when the top lever is moved to the right to open.  I am away from home now.  When I return later next week, I will post pictures of what your action should look like internally.  I would think that where the sear meets the notch at the end of the striker there may be excessive wear.  This would keep the sear from engaging the striker and holding it place.   Of course, this is just a guess. 

65Jeffrey

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 01:24:49 PM »
appreciate the info and the history on this rifle but original question still stands....
Anyone know a gunsmith familiar with these rifles?

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2023, 02:43:15 PM »
Google:  HK Custom Guns, Valley Grande, AL
You can look at his web site and see what he (Harvey King) offers.

While he has never repaired any of my Model 219/220 Savages, he is a good friend and has done other gun work for me.  The best way to contact him is via phone.

65Jeffrey

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2023, 08:14:53 PM »
perfect...THANK YOU
would still love to hear any advice you have on propper firing pin/mainspring assembly i should buy

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 08:05:53 AM »
As I mentioned earlier, the failure to cock could be caused by either wear on the striker notch or the tip of the sear, or both.  Or something else completely different. No way to tell without examining the actual gun.  Your other problem, hard to open, most likely will not require parts, but actually removing part of the metal on the barrel lug where it engages the locking piece inside the action.  I have had this problem and had it repaired by a machinist friend.  You have to be very careful because if you remove to much, the barrel will be loose in the action.  Hopefully, Harvey can help you with both problems if you decide to contact him.

Something else to remember, while Savage sold parts to anyone, they advised that all parts were not interchangeable, but must be hand fitted, even though it was the same part for a particular action.  I found that out trying to replace an ejector. 

Exchipy

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 10:19:02 AM »
This thread has started me to wondering if anyone makes replacement rifle barrels for Savage 219s. Doesn’t seem like it would be particularly difficult for a reasonably skilled machinist with a lathe, a mill, welding equipment and some enthusiasm.

65Jeffrey

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 10:32:49 AM »
Rifle is on its way to HK guns, talked to owner/gunsmith seems like a good guy.
I'll post updates when I have some.