Author Topic: 219 in 22 Hornet  (Read 1203 times)

MikeLeong

219 in 22 Hornet
« on: August 31, 2023, 04:45:15 PM »
A 219 has come up for sale in 22 Hornet. The price is reasonable, but I am wondering if anyone has some experience using factory ammunition for this gun in this caliber? My 219's in 30-30 are very accurate with my reloads but I hear this caliber is fussy to reload so I was wondering what kind of groups one can expect with factory rounds at 100 yards?

Thanks,
Mike

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 219 in 22 Hornet
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 07:40:29 PM »
Mike, If you do reload for it, please share with us the difference between your loads and factory.  Also, will you share with us what the "reasonable" price is, and details on the actual rifle?  Best wishes, Garnett

MikeLeong

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 11:00:17 AM »
Reasonable (my idea) is $650 Canadian, with a Bushnell scope on it, and it looks to be in good shape. A 30-30 tends to go for around $400 to $500 up here and I know 22 Hornet is harder to find so it commands a bit more money. The only other 22 Hornets I have seen here were in poor shape and the sellers still wanted $500 or more for them. One was so bad somebody screwed the forearm onto the barrel (with a hole drilled through a nickel as a washer!) so that the gun would not come apart when you opened it to put another round in. I wanted to see the numbers on the barrel and receiver to prove it was all original and the seller got mad when I told him these guns do come apart. He insisted the gun was built that way.

I am waffling on buying this caliber, because it is a pain to reload from what I hear. My friend is far more knowledgeable about 22 Hornet, and he noted you can play around with different powders and bullets for a long time, to find that magic combination that gives you a good grouping. He did eventually find a load that worked in his gun (Ruger #1 I think) that shot thumbnail groups at a hundred yards, which is what you want in varmit gun I guess. That is why I am wondering if there is a decent factory load that people have found works in the Savage 219's. The other issue is even finding a selection of factory ammo for this caliber. I hear they can be a lot of fun to shoot, and I do enjoy collecting these guns though, so maybe I will buy it regardless.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 04:07:49 PM »
Please keep us posted.

TXTROUT66

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2023, 02:37:13 PM »
Many find that a 40 to 45 grain bullet and a moderate load work best. Lots of options on powders. Both of mine do well with PMC ammo. I may convert on of them to an improved Hornet. But like anything, you can chase things!

Have fun in the chase!

MikeLeong

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 05:50:35 PM »
Another 219 in 22 Hornet just came up for sale here. With the set of letters/numbers/symbols on the underside of the barrel, should they match with the same set in the receiver? They do on the two 30-30's I own but the last time I looked at buying a 22 Hornet in the 219 model, the guy could not confirm that information. I am assuming the numbers should match but just wanted to check that the Hornet models did have a matching set of numbers on both parts of those models.
Thanks!
Mike

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 06:52:03 PM »
Mike, Yes, but not always exactly.  On the few Utility sets I have examined, most of the have 3 numbers and they will all match on all parts regardless of caliber.  Now, on the other guns, the numbers/letters on the bottom of the barrel in front of the lug, and the inside top of the left side of the frame, and under the butt plate in the stock will not necessarily be absolutely the same, but may vary slightly, but it is something you get a feel about after looking at several.  I have also found a few forearms stamped with the assembly numbers on NON Utility sets.   I know this sounds confusing.  But again, Yes, numbers should match, regardless of caliber.

MikeLeong

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 10:37:50 AM »
Thanks for that information! A lot of guys selling these guns do not seem to know anything about them, and get irritated when I ask for the stamped numbers etc., but I am willing to wait and make sure I am dealing with somebody reputable. The fellow selling this firearm does not have any trader ratings on the site where the gun was posted, which is also a concern. Most people selling guns build up a good reputation on the gun exchange sites so that the gun you get is what was advertised, and you do not have to worry about sending them the funds and then getting a crappy gun, or nothing at all.
A 219 in 30-30 came yesterday at a gun auction site in Canada and went to $400 plus fees, so about $500. That seems to be the going rate here for that model, and this one looked to be in good shape as well.