Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

Scope base, your thoughts?

(1/2) > >>

50fps:
It’s been awhile since I posted, but seeing as most of the hunting season has wound down it was time to break out a winter project. So the other day I was going through the safe and thought to myself how would a TC Encore scope base fit on the 219. I just pulled the base of my Encore and sized it up on the 219. Here are the results. As you can see there is a slight gap for approximately 7/8 of an inch towards the muzzle end of the mount, but the mount screws fall nicely over the thickest part of the barrel.
Now for the question, would going with this be a good idea?

Garnett:
I don't see why this won't work.  I had a solid one piece base put on my 219 in .30-30 years ago, and it has the same gap at the front.  I have had no problem.  While at the time, a one piece base was not available, I just did not like the looks of a two piece base that was available.

Exchipy:
A couple of inexpensive Weaver bases (#43 if I recall correctly) takes the same number of drilled and tapped holes and makes for a simple, uncluttered appearance:

Garnett:
Very nice!  Thanks for sharing!

MikeLeong:
I bought a rail (Weaver I think?) for my 219 in 30-30 and had the guy at the gun store mount it. He used the back mounting holes which were similar in spacing to yours (but closer to each other) but when I  took it to the range I found the rail was moving just a bit after firing a few rounds, as the back two mounting holes were so close to each other. The guy at the gun store was reluctant to drill that front hole, because of the gap underneath the rail , and the thinner barrel there. I then took it to a friend who is a professional gunsmith, and he drilled a hole in the barrel that lined up with the front mounting hole on my rail. That set up is a solid as all hell now.
Mike

--- Quote from: 50fps on January 02, 2023, 10:02:49 AM ---It’s been awhile since I posted, but seeing as most of the hunting season has wound down it was time to break out a winter project. So the other day I was going through the safe and thought to myself how would a TC Encore scope base fit on the 219. I just pulled the base of my Encore and sized it up on the 219. Here are the results. As you can see there is a slight gap for approximately 7/8 of an inch towards the muzzle end of the mount, but the mount screws fall nicely over the thickest part of the barrel.
Now for the question, would going with this be a good idea?

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version