Author Topic: barrels  (Read 3812 times)

bob

barrels
« on: July 30, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »
hello garnett&mike!!hope you guys are well!!!   I hav'nt been on here for a while.i have a ?,are savage 219's barrels in 218 bee rare&have either of you had one???    thank you!!!    bob in pa.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: barrels
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »
Bob, I have heard of them, but have never seen one.  I would really appreciate some close up pictures of the barrel markings, lug area, etc.  I feel that if it is not a .22 Hornet re-chamber and is made by Savage, it is very rare!  Thanks for telling  me about it.  I look forward to some pictures if you have the time to send.  Best wishes, Garnett

Let me expand on my comment above.  Numrich Arms listed several odd calibers for 219 barrels over the years.  I have one that was originally in 9 MM Shot Shell and converted to .357.  A member of this forum also has one.  His pictures are identical to my barrel other than the placement of the rear sight.  I have no doubt after examining my barrel and his pictures, that both barrels were originally made by Savage Arms.  However, Numrich also offered a 20 gauge slug barrel with rifle sights for the M219/220 actions.  I purchased one.  After careful examination, I do not believe this barrel was made by Savage, but that Numrich had the barrels made for them at some point in time.  It is rare, but not original Savage and therefore in my opinion, does not command a premium price.  But...I would pay more for it, than a standard 20 gauge Savage original, that was cut off and rifle sights added.  Actually, I would not even be interested in purchasing such a cut off converted barrel.   As I mentioned earlier, please post some pictures of your barrel.  If you have any problem posting, send them to my regular email    garnettstancil@hotmail.com    and I will post them.  Best wishes, Garnett
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 09:56:04 AM by Garnett »

bob

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 07:47:15 PM »
hello garnett,i just got back from look'in at the barrel&it is not a 218 bee! it's a rechambered 22 hornet to a 219 zipper.i'm not sure if i'm going to buy it or not.the man who has it told me at 1 time a few years ago he had 23 different sets of 219's&220;s,now he's down to 5,he a lot of nice rifle's&shotguns.he has put me in touch with some other people that also collect 219&220's.hopefully I can get a hornet &maybe others from these people he told me about.i will tell you he showed me his dad's 219 with 30-30&12 ga. utility set #221&has the original paper work that came with the combo that his dad bought in 1938 for $19.75.the set is in ex. cond. his dad shot 22 deer with this outfit.never broke firing either just a really good man to talk to.i really appreciate meeting&talking with him.    I have more info for you about the 219 later!!  take care!!     bob

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 10:10:10 PM »
Bob, thanks for this update.  That Utility set would be a great addition for anyone's collection!  I have a .22 Hornet barrel re-chambered to .219 Zipper.  I had it and a separate forearm fitted to one I my guns.  I have not shot it yet.  Please keep me posted.  My daughter lives in Hershey, PA. What part are you from?  Best wishes, Garnett

bob

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 04:23:37 PM »
Garnett,i'm in NW PA. near franklin,pa. very close to the beautiful allegheny river!my oldest daughter lives very close to your daughter in Carlisle,pa.my wife&i go out there at least once a mo.i know that area pretty well.