Author Topic: 219 "wildcat"rechambers, rebores, and relines  (Read 25291 times)

SniperW

Re: 219 "wildcat"rechambers, rebores, and relines
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 07:55:25 PM »
Hey, Garnett and all Y'all, :)
     I'm new to your forum, and am glad there is some entity out there who still cares about these fine little firearms. I just picked up an early Utica rifle that was originally chambered in .22 Hornet, and someone somewhere along the line rechambered it to the old 2R Lovell wildcat. This round is made from the even older 25-20 Single Shot casing, not to be confused with the much shorter 25-20 Winchester. The case is necked down to accept .224 bullets, and blown out nearly straight-walled during fireforming, with a much sharper shoulder and shorter neck, all for the reason of increased powder capacity. Back during the 1930s and up 'til the birth of the .222 Remington, the 2R Lovell just about ruled the roost in small-bore competitions. The birth of the .222 Rem. sung the death nell for about all previous .22 rounds. The 2R Lovell will push a 40g Hornet bullet to 3400 fps easily, and a 52g HPBT sierra MK to about 3100 fps, all through a 26-in. barrel.

This little rifle has had a tough life. It's got plenty of extra holes from a couple different scope mounts and a receiver sight at some time, but the inside of the barrel looks virtually unfired. These Hornet rifles were built with a 1-in-14 twist, which Berger and Sierra both say is just right for bullets of 55g and less. The rifle has been restocked at some point with a beautiful piece of Claro walnut off of a Ruger Red Letter shotgun (plenty of meat in the head of the stock to make the obvious alterations), and I'm doing some much-needed refinishing of the metal parts since the gun has no collector value as is, and never will have. I found a source of new 25-20 SS brass, all  you want (!?!?), and now I am pokin' around for a set of dies and a shellholder for the 2R Lovell caliber. RCBS lists the dies, but they're pretty proud of 'em, at $151.00 without the shellholder. For an old fart on a fixed income, that's pretty steep.

I started reloading with my Grampa's help, at the age of eleven. We worked up all sorts of accuracy loads for the venerable 30-06 and .38 Spl., and I've been a group-shooter ever since. If this thing works out as I hope, maybe I can post a few pictures of it.

I got the little rifle's action apart OK, with nothing worse than a slightly bent firing pin, but I'd like to have a little help with the theory of puttin' it back together. Does anyone know of any verbal or pictorial help for that purpose? Much obliged, y'all :o 

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 08:58:23 PM »
Sniper, Welcome to the forum!  Savage never published disassembly/reassembly instructions because of "Liability" concerns.  There is an article in the December 1962 edition of Shooting Times by Frank de Hass, that gives complete instructions.  There was a copy for sale a couple of weeks ago on Ebay.  Maybe it is still there.  The only verbal help I can give you here is what one of my readers advised....."If you think a wire spring is bent....DO NOT straighten it, it was made that way for a reason!" :-) Please do post pictures of your M219 and also a picture of a 2R Lovell case.  Please email me on my regular email:     garnettstancil@hotmail.com    put Savage in the title so I will know it is not spam.  Best wishes, Garnett

SniperW

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 09:18:02 PM »
Hey, Garnett, ::)
     Did you put any info or pictures to help with the re-assembly in your book? I might be forced to abandon my cheap-azz ways, and come up off the cash for the book, if so. Do you accept PayPal, If so I can pay you immediately if you trust me with your e-mail address or your Phone number. That's all that's needed for instant transfer from my PayPal credit account. Let me know-------- :P

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 03:12:59 PM »
Sniper, My book does not has disassembly/reassembly information.  Please see the my previous answer to your first post.  The book has lots of other info and pictures not found anywhere else.  I do not accept pay-pal, unless forced to by ebay sales.  I will be happy to take your personal check or USPS money order if you decide to purchase my book.  My email address is:
garnettstancil@hotmail.com      Please email me as I have some information you may can use.  Best wishes, Garnett

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 10:39:27 PM »
"They all deserve a glass reinforcement of the stock tang area, even the ones without cracks."  Mike, you mentioned this and I stress this in my book.  It is one of the two weak points on these guns.  I have even had cracked stocks on .22 Hornets.  I would not think the recoil in this cartridge would be enough to crack the stock.