Author Topic: Gunsmith for Savage 219s?  (Read 968 times)

richhodg66

Gunsmith for Savage 219s?
« on: January 21, 2023, 08:33:34 AM »
Does anyone know a good gunsmith who will work on these?  Seems real gunsmiths are getting few and far between, most just seem to want to parts change on ARs and such.

Anyway, I have a 219, nagging misfires, but not a broken firing pin.  Took it to a local smith here who is a good guy and changed out the main spring, but upon looking through it found it to have a crack across the barrel lug which is likely causing the misfires and he doesn't have the ability to tig weld it to fix it.

The work will likely cost more than the rifle is worth, but I had kind of wanted to put a 24 stock on this one and make a forend which would be conducive to shooting with the scope and kind of individualize it a bit.  Anyone have good experience with someone who does work like this? 

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Gunsmith for Savage 219s?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 04:59:43 PM »
I have talked with one person who had a cracked barrel lug.  I suggested he find a welder who had a Hely (sorry I can't spell it) arc welder.  This is a special welder for very small jobs.  He had his lug repaired and then reshaped. This might work for you.  Please keep us posted.