Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

Another 219 in 30-30

(1/2) > >>

MikeLeong:
Just got another 219 in 30-30. The numbers match between the barrel and action but I was not sure of year of manufacture with those numbers, in the pictures. Garnett, I looked in your book, but was not sure if was reading the letters and numbers right to get a correct year of manufacture?.

It also needs a ladder for the rear sight, and the butt plate is not original. Would appreciate any thoughts on best places to get those parts. I will take this to my gunsmith as he did a great job mounting a scope rail on my other one, and then I can test this one at the range when it warms up in the spring!

Cleetus:
Most likely pre 1947? But not the very earliest model of the 30s by the trigger guard type.

Garnett:
I agree with Cleetus, that it is an early gun and maybe pre-war.  It is what I call a Second Model Utica, in that it has an alloy trigger guard. First Models were curved steel.  The date codes are normally found on the barrel below the markings, and on the right side of the receiver.  However, these date codes did not start until 1949 and are not on your rifle.  I am not sure which book you have, but in my first book I listed a dating system that I later found out from Mr. Callahan, was only used about one year.  I dropped it from later issues and used what I now believe to be standard for Savage starting in 1949.  It will have a number and a letter inside a small circle.  The number is the inspector and the letter is the date.  You have what I believe to be a very rare factory installed swivel on the barrel.  Does the stock have a similar one?  As to the needed parts, your rear sight is an early milled sight, so you need to look for a milled elevator.  A later flat stamped one won't look right, though it may work OK  On the butt plate, you should have slotted screws.  I have purchased two "replacement" butt plates.  The first fit the stock OK, but the screw holes did not align with the original holes.  I purchased another one and it was fine other than being slightly over sized and needed minor fitting.  Try looking on eBay for both parts.  Also, Numrich has some parts for these guns and there are at least two companies on the internet making reproduction butt plates.  Thanks for sharing with us, and good luck on your hunt!

MikeLeong:
The swivel on the barrel was something I noticed as well. There is one on the stock, but I suspect it is not original, it was loose and looks more recent. The one on the barrel caught my eye as my other 219 does not have it. I have the book you sent me, from just before your latest edition.
I did order a ladder for the rear sight from Numrich, and I am guessing it is a flat stamped one, so I will keep my eye out for the milled one. I also ordered a butt plate from them that they said was for 219's, hopefully the screw holes match up. I pulled the stock off and stripped off the varnish from it and the forearm, and sanded out those numbers stamped in the stock, as well as the carrying grooves and scratches. I put a walnut stain on it, and some True oil and it looks way better now! There is a small crack in the stock, which seems pretty typical for these guns. I did see some rust on the action when I had the gun apart, which I cleaned up as well, but the rifling in the barrel is shiny, with no pitting.

I will send it off to my gunsmith soon to get it drilled for a scope rail, and I am looking forward to seeing what it does with the reloads that I found worked well in the other 30-30 I have. Thanks for all your advice as always!

MikeLeong:

--- Quote from: Cleetus on February 11, 2023, 03:05:34 PM ---Most likely pre 1947? But not the very earliest model of the 30s by the trigger guard type.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your thoughts, which fit with what Garnett noted as well. I am still looking for other 219's in different calibers, but everything that comes up for sale in Canada seems to be the 30-30's!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version