Author Topic: 220D reassembly help  (Read 1582 times)

JeepsAndGuns

220D reassembly help
« on: May 19, 2023, 05:38:14 PM »
So a friend of mine brought me a bag of parts that used to be a gun, wanting to know if I could put it back together for him. It is a savage 220D single shot, break action .410.
The firing pin was broke and he could not get it in. He pulled the mainspring/hammer strut out of it as well as another spring.
I got the new firing pin in, now I need to get the rest of it back together.
The hammer strut and spring look pretty straightforward as to where they go. However, the latch (that holds the barrel closed) and the hammer will slide back and forth on the pins, and I see nothing to connect the lever that opens the gun, to the actual latch. So I am thinking I have a part (or more than one part?) missing.
Having never taken one of these apart, I do not know what it is supposed to look like in there. The online exploded parts diagrams do not help any.

Hoping someone might have one of these they would be willing to take the buttstock off it and snap me a couple pictures of the inside of it. That way I can see if I am missing something or not.

Here is what I am working with.

Here is a shot of the inside, hammer forward.

Here is a shot of the inside with the hammer all the way back and you can see nothing connects the open lever to anything on the inside. That is why I think something is missing.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 220D reassembly help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 01:28:07 PM »
Here are 3 pictures of the 220D action.  Be aware that parts sometime vary, even with the same model designation.  The 3 washers added to the main spring are not factory original but someone added to perhaps increase the strength of the hammer hitting the firing pin.  Click on the pictures to enlarge.   Complete disassembly/reassembly instructions are available in my book with pictures.  Complete instructions without pictures are also available in the December issue of Shooting Times magazine that is available on EBay at times, for about $10.00.  I hope this will help some.  Good luck on the project.  Please keep us posted.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 01:31:19 PM by Garnett »

JeepsAndGuns

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 05:41:50 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. Sadly they do not seem to offer much help. I need a couple pictures showing the inside of the action, like the center and bottom picture I posted.
Need to see what connects the open lever to the locking block, as right now, moving the open lever does not connect in any way to the locking block.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 06:54:21 PM »
I tried to take pictures of cocked and uncocked positions, but I could only get this one to up load to this posting.  I hope it will help.  I will try later to post the other pictures.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 06:59:28 PM by Garnett »

JeepsAndGuns

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 06:13:35 PM »
Thanks for the pictures you emailed me.
I was able to find out that the locking block had been installed backwards. After seeing the pictures, I could see how it was supposed to go, and that the ears on the locking block that are pointing backwards in my picture, are actually supposed to be facing up, and it is those that engage the open lever.
I removed the hammer, the locking block, flipped it over and reassembled everything.
It all seems to be functioning  as it should. I have not test fired it as I do not own any 410's, so I do not have any ammo. I will have him bring some when he comes and gets it.

Not sure if anyone else will ever have this same issue, but just in case, hopefully the info helps someone.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 06:32:08 PM »
Thanks for the update!

Clance

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2023, 08:45:57 PM »