Author Topic: Scored a 220 barrel  (Read 4381 times)

Mike Armstrong

Scored a 220 barrel
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »
Was able to buy an excellent 20 guage 220 from a seller on www.24hourcampfire.com.  Good price and quick shipment. 

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I've lost too many good parts by dithering in the past; you always have time to figure out what to do with a part....IF you have the part!

This is a 28" barrel with flanged chamber area and the same barrel markings as the one shown on page 51 of Garnett's book.   No manufacturer name or place of manufacture, but it has all the features of a Utica-manufactured barrel except the Utica address.  No cocking stud, "long, wide and deep" serrations on the chamber top.  All complete with ejector mechanism and in excellent shape, about 90% blue with the rest faded into "plum."  No pits, rust, or dents.

Has a bright metal bead (not brass) and appears to have been rechoked to modified choke (that's what the seller thought it was), not a good thing for a collector, but then I'm NOT one and prefer chokes more open than full.

This barrel slips right onto my early Utica 219 in .25-20, but I already have a .410 barrel for that.   I already have a Chicopee Falls 20SC, so I guess I'm gonna look around for a Utica 219 in .22Hornet or .30-30 to fit this onto  (That search will be fun....)  Or I may be able to fit it onto an early 12 guage 220 and trade the 12 barrel to somebody with younger shoulders!  (I don't have much use for single shot 12s!).

Or if anybody has an "orphan" Utica action or rifle that they are interested in selling me, I'm willin' to talk!

Happy New Year, everybody!

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
Scored a 220 barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 06:33:42 PM »
Mike, I am glad you got the barrel.  It sounds like a good one.  I have never heard the term "re-choked".  Can you explain why the seller felt this?  I have only seen it mentioned in one place and cannot say it is so as it was not in a factory catalog, but somewhere I saw that while standard chokes were full, a non full choke barrel   could be ordered.  Best wishes, Garnett

Mike Armstrong

Re: Scored a 220 barrel
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:14:33 AM »
Hi, Garnett.  Hope you like chocolate!

Usually when the term "re-choked" is used, it means reaming out the original tight choke to a more open one.  This can be done with an actual choke reamer, which only a gunsmith would usually have, or by various "shade tree" methods like wrapping emery paper around a split dowel, chucking it up in a drill, then "sanding" out some of the choke. 

If done carefully with a variable-speed drill, that works OK, assuming that the operator has  the tools to measure the inside of the barrel accurately and KNOWS  the proper dimensions of the choke degree he is seeking.  Needless to say, most amateurs don't really know what they are doing; they just know they don't want a full choke!

This 20 barrel seems to have been rechoked by the "shade tree" method.  However,  it seems to be concentric all the way along the choke area, which indicates that the guy went slow and checked with a caliper, which is better than most such.  My measurements tell me it's more like "improved cylinder" than "improved," which is OK by me.  Hopefully at some point I'll have it on a gun and get to pattern it.  I'd try it on my 220SC action, but it won't cock that.

The other sense of rechoking, putting a tighter choke BACK into a barrel requires adding metal.   That involves either re-sleeving and then reaming the choke area (gunsmiths only please!) or adding choke tubes (" " "), which is the more modern fix.  These days only really classic doubles get the re-sleeving fix, and that is usually for those that are quite valuable but have suffered a catastrophic barrel failure, or have barrels with steel that is un- trustworthy with modern ammo.  Re-sleeving costs a lot, and it is hard to find a gunsmith willing--and ABLE-- to do the work.

And that's all I know about that.

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Scored a 220 barrel
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »
Mike, thanks for this info!  Garnett