Author Topic: Found a Stevens 220 (???).  (Read 8582 times)

Mike Armstrong

Found a Stevens 220 (???).
« on: January 08, 2015, 10:33:56 PM »
Have a look at www.gunsamerica.com  item #944621534.  It appears to be a Stevens-marked, Utica-made, "deluxe" checkered 220.  At least it's a hammerless single shot 12 that looks very much like a 220.  Never seen one before.  Tempted to buy it but I need another 12 like a new hole, and I don't like single shot 12s much.  At least I don't like SHOOTING them much! 

Is this just a rebranded 220 "Trap Grade"?

To see a contemporary competitor of the 220, have a look at GA item #918549474, a "Lefever Long Range" .410 hammerless single that was actually made by Ithaca Gun Co.  As far as I know they never made a rifle version of this shotgun, but the shotguns are not rare.  I had one of these .410s once.  It worked but isn't as nice handling as an early 220 .410, IMO.

I have had very satisfactory dealings with the seller of these guns, BTW, Bromley's Gunshop in IA.

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Found a Stevens 220 (???).
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 01:57:01 PM »
Mike, I have never seen either of the model guns.  They are really nice, but I don't think they have anything in common with the Savage 220 other than being hammerless single shots.  If you have time, compare them the the close ups in my book of the 220 actions.  That said, if I had the money, I would purchase both these guns.  I have bought several guns from Bromley's.  They are good to deal with.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 04:28:22 PM »
I'll take a closer look at the two "side by side" or as close as I can come, by printing the ad off my computer.

Hammerless single shots weren't ever as popular as hammer models, but many of the major makers had them at one time or another--I've seen Iver Johnsons and H&Rs, as well as the ones mentioned.  They all seem to have been more expensive than the hammer singles by the same makers.

Winchester made a few prototypes of a concealed hammer version of the Model 37 single shot, but never made a production run.  The hammer 37 did well by itself--they made more of them than any other shotgun, according to one source.  Since none had any serial numbers, it's hard to say if that is true.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 06:18:33 PM »
Garnett, having viewed the two sets of images (GA listing and your book) side-by-side, I agree--this Stevens hammerless single is at best a distant relative of the 219/220.  Action has many more pins and a straight "back" without the scallop of the Savage brand hammerless singles.  The barrel lug looks close to the 220/219, but not identical either.

I wonder what happened to this model--they seem very rare, or at least I've never seen nor heard of one.  Perhaps they were a little too fancy/pricey for the Stevens brand's market?

Also wish I could buy this Stevens shotgun, but just sank my "capital" (a rather-too-grand title for my piggy bank's contents....) into a Utica 219 .30-30 with original Savage mounts, rings, and scope, and a .410 barrel fitted to it.  Won't be here for a while; the guy I talked out of it lives in NV and is going in for a rotator cuff rebuild Monday, so he won't be shipping anything for a while....  I've had the same surgery; takes a while to recover!  But I've done business with him before and he'll get 'em to me.

Hope you're home and safe, if not dry, by now!

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »
I agree.  Also, on the multibarrel sets you listed, I would caution anyone to be sure the assembly numbers match before paying a premium price for them.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »
I got the 219 mentioned above and it is a very nice rifle; excellent bore and the purtiest walnut stock I've ever seen on a 219.  I'd say it is a rather late Utica gun--skinny trigger and alloy triggerguard, steel safety, skinny rifle forend.  REALLY shoots once I got it sighted in for my favorite .30-30 single shot handload with Barnes TSX bullet that we have to use in CA now.  Even better with Sierra 125 gr spitzer.

The .410 barrel is also Utica but not a match for the 219; different forend attachement.  Fortunately I got a Utica 20 guage barrel off www.24hourcampfire that fits perfectly, no fitting required.  So I'm set with that outfit.

And today I saw one of the Stevens hammerless shotguns that prompted me to start this thread.  It was in a local gunshop in Little Saigon, a 30" 12 guage.  Wood was excellent but probably refinished; metal looked good but was obviously reblued (a pro job).  Only other issue I could find was that it the safety seemed kinda loose.  $195, a fair price.  Didn't buy it because I have too many 12s already and DON'T like single 12s much, especially with long, full choke barrels.

But it was a very nice gun, at least as nice as most 220s in similar shape.  No serial number, of course, so no idea when made or how many were made.  I would like to know if they made these in other guages, but I've never seen a reference to them in any book.  Has anybody else?  Model number?

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 09:38:56 PM »
Can you post a picture of this Stevens?  I am not familiar with it.  Maybe the gun shop will let you photograph it as it would be free advertising for his gun.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »
Hi, Garrett.  The gun in the shop is the same as the one I referred to earlier, except the one in Little Saigon (Westminster, CA) has been reblued and it looks like the finish may originally have been case coloring.  I doubt if the shop would allow pix; CA gunshop owners tend to be a little paranoid (with some very GOOD reasons, I must add). 

But if you go to www.gunsamerica.com and type the number 944621534 into the search box and hit the search button, it will take you to the gun referenced, with three good pix to click on.  A nice gun, to my eye, and probably meant for hunting and informal trap shooting of the kind they used to have whenever a bunch of country neighbors got together for some 'cue.  Remember that?

I'll look at it again and see if I can find a model number or patent date, although the markings on this one are faint because of the reblue.  My guess, from the Stevens address, is that this model predates the 219/220 by at least ten years.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »
I asked about this gun on www.doublegunshop.com/BBS because I knew there are several guys there who are Stevens authorities.  One of them replied with pix of four pages of ads from various old Stevens catalogs from the 'tens and 'teens of the 20th century.  They show this model, Model 180, which was made in 12, 16, and 20 guage with 26-36" barrels (!), and a trap grade version, Model 181.  Later ads showed some "improved versions" of the 180, the 182 which was made in 12, 16, 20, .410 and 12mm shot (smoothbore .44-40 shot ctg.), and the 182, another trap gun.  Nice guns all of them except the 182, which has a very peculiar stock and forearm to my eyes.

Tried to forward these ads, but haven't been able to.  If necessary, I'll mail you copies--you'll enjoy.  All but the prices--NEVER read the prices on old gun ads!

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 08:56:22 PM »
Mike, thanks for this info.